Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a Limited Backup

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Creating a Limited Backup

[ Edited ]

I'm loading a laptop for a salesman and we limit the database for them.  The DB is limited to their particular salesman number.  What would be a way to create a backup limited to just their salesman #?  I'm assuming I could filter by the salesman # then...??

Edit:

To further explain I need to create this backup on the server then load it on the salesman 's laptop.  Could this be accomplished via sync?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author punchback
‎10-28-2020 04:40 AM
Silver Contributor

Re: Creating a Limited Backup

[ Edited ]

You use the word backup but I believe you mean remote database RDB file.

Find out what the criteria is for the user on what they can see.

1/ Go to Tools - Synchronise Database -  Synchronisation Panel - Manage Sync Sets 

(Look to see if one has been created before for this user, if it has it will appear at this point, If a sync set does not exist for this user go to 2, if it does go to 3)

2/ Click on Create New Sync Set  - Name as the ACT User and click next - Now select the user - Click Next - Select Define Sync Set criteria - Now click on Create Criteria - You are now able to build up a query based on what you would like the user to have synced to them. (Hint: It might be good to first create a group and then a dynamic query for the group to practice getting the criteria correct.) Once the criteria is complete click Next and then Finish and then Home.

3/ Click on Create Remote Database and then Next - Enter a name (Users name is best but use _ between first and last names.) Note where the database is going to be saved and click Next. Now select the sync set for this user and click Next. Check settings and then click next again. Chose if this is going to sync in a network or via the internet under connection type. (Always use network if they have a vpn or similar link to the network)

4/ Now click Next and Finish and the database will be created for just the records in the criteria you have set.

More details here -

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024407653-How-do-I-set-up-remote-database-synchronization-...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

A couple of things:

1.  While you have created a field for the salesperson's number, did you consider taking those contacts and assigning that user as the record manager.  That is easily adjusted should there be turnover in the sales force. 

2.  By creating a remote data base (RDB) you can create a set of contacts for that user that meets your criteria.  You will be taking advantage of Dynamic Lookup when you create the RDB sync set.  At that time, only those contacts that meet the search criteria will be in that RDB.  

I think this addresses your specific question, but there are a lot of other questions that come to mind.  Let us know if this meets your objective.

Regards

John Purdy
ACT! Premium V. 22.1.212.0 Update 4
HP ENVY 17m, 16GB, & Office 365, 32bit, 500GB SSD.
ACT CRM Advisor
Highlighted

What I was hoping for was how do I create this limited backup?

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author punchback
‎10-28-2020 04:40 AM
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

You use the word backup but I believe you mean remote database RDB file.

Find out what the criteria is for the user on what they can see.

1/ Go to Tools - Synchronise Database -  Synchronisation Panel - Manage Sync Sets 

(Look to see if one has been created before for this user, if it has it will appear at this point, If a sync set does not exist for this user go to 2, if it does go to 3)

2/ Click on Create New Sync Set  - Name as the ACT User and click next - Now select the user - Click Next - Select Define Sync Set criteria - Now click on Create Criteria - You are now able to build up a query based on what you would like the user to have synced to them. (Hint: It might be good to first create a group and then a dynamic query for the group to practice getting the criteria correct.) Once the criteria is complete click Next and then Finish and then Home.

3/ Click on Create Remote Database and then Next - Enter a name (Users name is best but use _ between first and last names.) Note where the database is going to be saved and click Next. Now select the sync set for this user and click Next. Check settings and then click next again. Chose if this is going to sync in a network or via the internet under connection type. (Always use network if they have a vpn or similar link to the network)

4/ Now click Next and Finish and the database will be created for just the records in the criteria you have set.

More details here -

https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024407653-How-do-I-set-up-remote-database-synchronization-...

Highlighted

Thank you much.  Laptop all setup and ready to go.

Alan