Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Opportunities and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Error

Creating Opportunities and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Error

Using Version: ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

Users trying to create a new opportunity from the Opportunity List receive an error dialog box, ‘Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' 

They click OK, then a 'Loading dialog' opens and does not disappear or close until user closes Act.

This happens regardless of whether user right-clicks the Opportunity Window | New Opportunity or if they choose New Opportunity from the Opportunity List Toolbar.  It also does not matter what level of access the User has been granted.

The workaround I’ve advised them to use is to Open a Contact or Company and select New Opportunity from there, however, the options still exist in the Opportunity list.

Please advise if this is working as designed or if there is a patch to fix this issue.  If indeed an opportunity must be created from either a Contact or Company record, why are these options even available within the Opportunity List and Toolbar.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating Opportunities and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Erro

This is not a reported issue in 11.0, but it may be a good idea to go ahead and apply the latest update (11.1) to your server and workstations.  The update can be obtained from the ACT! Downloads site. This site requires a login, so you may need to create a quick profile.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Creating Opportunities and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Erro

Thank you, Greig.  I've set up an internal request to apply the update to our server and workstations.  I will let you know if this resolves the reported issue.

Donna

Donna,

Are all the workstations having this issue?  If they are, try loading the demo database to see if you get the same error.

I know that at least two workstations had the same issue.

I will check the function with the demo database on several other workstations, however, I found out the hard way that I cannot apply the update to a workstation without applying to the server and updating the database first.

I am in process of un-installing Act and reinstalling it as the non-updated level.  This critical step was not in the instructions for applying the update to workstations!

I am having the same issue with ACT! 2012. It happens quite frequently. Is there a fix available?