Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating New Dashboard Components with The Data Chart... (2010)

Bronze Super Contributor

Creating New Dashboard Components with The Data Chart... (2010)

I have been creating some new dash components with 2010's Data chart XML.

Have had success with using default tables.

Create a custom table, and have attempted to create a SQL query to pull a grid from that and don't seem to be able to get the hang of it.

Questions:  1)  Does the data chart component allow access to custom tables?

2)  If so, is there a differeing syntax required in the SQL.  Default tables are specified using dbo.<Table Name>...  Not so with custom?  I have been using the OLEdb v2 Views view to reference field and table names, it seemed fine for default tables...

Thanks for any insight.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Creating New Dashboard Components with The Data Chart... (2010)

Is it possible that there is a bug in the v2 OLE provider such that custom tables cannot be viewed?

I get the same results when attempting to use OLE v2 whether I am attempting to read the data using the Act! data chart or using a third party ADO tool such as ADO Explorer or QTADO...

If you specify a query like Select * from dbo.[custom table], it works.  If you attempt to specify just certain columns you will get a 'column undefined' error...

Bronze Elite Contributor

There is a defect here. The problem is that the custom table was not all uppercase.

In these cases Select * from dbo.customtable will work but select columnname from  dbo.customtable will produce the error you received. 

Suggest renaming the table to all uppercase or rewording the SQL statement. This will be fixed in an upcoming release.  

Bronze Super Contributor

Thanks Benjamin - that was it.

I tested on a new table created with all caps, and it works as expected.

Copper Contributor

I am having a similar problem creating a new dashboard panel in 2010. I want to apply the predesigned contacts-by-country in one of the existing dashboards. When I select that from teh "other" dashboard sheets, I get the following error. GetOleDbSchemaTable requires an oepn and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

Any suggestions on this?