03-09-2011 09:01 PM
After update Sage ACT!2011 SP1+HF2 it is not possible to create multiples rdb´s correctly.
You can rename the remote databases and select the proper sync set for each one at Preview and Edit Remote Database Setting´s table, just before the creation process starts, but when the job is finished ACT! creates multiples rdb databases with the same initial name changing only the termination with 1 through n suffix.
Explaining - I started the rdb creation for 15 databases named "Remote". At the Preview and Edit Remote Database Settings I changed the Remote Database Name to match with their specific users (Mary, John, Paul, etc). All other settings remain the same for all databases.
Clicking Next, the Building Remote Databases appear to work fine but when completed the result was 15 Remote Databases named Remote1.rdb, Remote2.rdb, Remote3.rdb .............. Remote15.rdb.
I did the same process when initially installed Sage ACT!2011 Premium (13.0) 4 months ago and had no problem.
Yesterday I notice this issue after updated Sage ACT!2011 but I am not sure if the problem is SP1+HF1 or the HF2 update.
Anyone with the same report ?
03-09-2011 09:10 PM
It's a known issue. It broke in version 13. We are anxiously awaiting a fix.. Your only option would be to create the remotes individually
03-09-2011 09:17 PM - edited 03-09-2011 09:24 PM
I created each rdb individually after removing the 15 wrong ones, increasing considerably the time spent on customer´s site (about 800MB each rdb) but getting the job done.
I did not find any mention about this issue.
Thank you for your attention.
03-15-2011 01:59 AM
I had exactly the same issue with ACT Premium 2011. We recently upgraded directly from ACT Premium 2008 and I was really looking forward to the ease of creating all my remotes at the same time. Luckily I did a test and only created three remotes but, as described, they didn't take up the required filenames - instead they had the same filename (my first user's database name) with increasing numeric suffices. Sage ACT Support confimed that this was working in 13.0 but broken at SP1 (13.1). A bitter disappointment!
10-19-2011 05:07 PM