04-29-2010 08:22 AM
My company is currently using ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 188.8.131.52, Hot Fix 1.
I believe ever since we updated to the latest Hot Fix, or possibly since we upgraded from 2008 to 2010 I get a popup message everytime I create a new contact by selecting new and creating from scratch or by selecting duplicate.
The message is:
"The changes you made to this record affect the lookup/sort criteria. To continue working with the record, the All Lookup will be restored. Would you like to continue working with this record?"
The popup happens when I go to create a note, click to save, click on the arrow to go to the next contact or basically just to leave the contact record. Once the messge pops up I have to either select "Yes" to keep working with the record or "No" for the lookup to be restored. I usually always want to keep working with the record because I have to enter a note so I click "Yes", however only about 85% of the time does it let me keep working with that record to enter the note. The other 15% of the time it will change to another contact record after I click "Yes" and then the note box will open up so if I don't notice the record has changed, I end up putting a note in for the wrong person!
I believe one important thing to point out is that when this happens I am always doing a lookup of some sort (to verify the contact isn't already in the database or to find the same company to duplicate in order to make it easier to create the new contact) prior to clicking on "new" or "duplicate" to create the new contact.
04-30-2010 01:18 PM
This message will usually appear if you are editing a record that is part of your current lookup, and the changes you have made affect the lookup criteria. Clicking "Yes" will keep the record in focus (unless you are moving off the record) but the lookup will be cancelled; clicking "No" will remove that contact from lookup and retain the lookup criteria. Is this what you seeing happening?
There is a reported issue with ACT! 2010 SP1 Hot Fix 1 that could be related to what your seeing. When you create a lookup, then (with the lookup still active) create a new contact and insert a note, the list will jump to the first contact in the list. This issue is currently under investigation and we will provide an update when a solution has been identified.
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.
04-30-2010 01:27 PM
I am aware that when you edit changes in a lookup that message pops up. It's been that way for as long as I've used at (Version 6).
What I am talking about I believe is more closely related to your second paragraph. This is happening when creating a new contact after a lookup is done. The lookup message pops up not only after trying to insert a note, but also after clicking to save the changes made to that new contact, and also when you click the forward or backwards arrow to go to a different contact. I hadn't noticed that after clicking to yes to remain working with the contact that it always go to the first listed contact in that lookup, I just know it goes to another contact, and not the one I had clicked yes to stay on. This doesn't always happen though, sometimes it does stay on the contact after clicking yes. In addition, when it doesn't stay on the contact after clicking yes, and it goes to another contact (or the first contact in the lookup as you indicated), it doesn't include that new contact in the lookup so then you have to do another lookup to find your new contact and enter your note. It's extremely frustrating!
I'm really frustrated with 2010, I wish we would have just stayed on 2008 because there is just too many small bugs with 2010 that make working with it such a pain!
06-07-2011 01:05 PM
Nope, still having the same issue. It's just a flaw in ACT 2010. We'll probably upgrade to 2012 so perhaps more of the bugs will be worked out. I'm not holding my breath though...