Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Act Database on Dedicated Server

Creating Act Database on Dedicated Server

We are using a pc as a dedicated "server" for act so that 3 ppl on our network can share the database. However, I am unable to create the database on this "server" because everytime I try I am told that an ACT database must be created on a local drive on my machine.

Is there anyway to create the database on this dedicated machine without installing act on it and having someone create the database there before the trial period runs out?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating Act Database on Dedicated Server

Is there anyway to create the database on this dedicated machine without installing act on it and having someone create the database there before the trial period runs out?

The short answer is No. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

so then the point of using a dedicated machine is moot. We might as well just have one user set it up on his machine and allow access to it from there to the 2 other users and have him perform backups weekly. that seems to defeat the purpose a bit.

thank you for your quick response.

Not true. While ACT! can be run the way you describe, the system you have the database hosted on and being used as a work station better be very healthy. If XP I would want to see 3-gig RAM, Vista 4-gig or more and a minimum 7200 RPM hard drive. Even so, expect occasional performance problems on the server workstation.

What is your problem with installing the ACT! program on the dedicated server? It doesn't require an extra license.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

no problem. just puts more road blocks and company red tape and approvals in the way of getting it set up. but so it goes.

thank you for your help. We will move forward with the dedicated machine and have everyone share from there.