Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create new ADT mail merge template

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Create new ADT mail merge template

Hi all, Im trying to create a new Mail Merge template (assuming this is an ADT file), one that is available to all users on the server via the Web Client.  When Im on the server, I click Write, New Letter\Email Template, and I get the editor.  However when I go to save this file, the only extension type is TPL. 

I need the template to be available as an ADT file, as the only type of extension for a mail merge is ADT on the web.  What am I doing wrong???

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ewitkows
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Create new ADT mail merge template

Ok, just got off the phone with ACT support, I never determined how to make an ADT on the server, but I did get a workaround.  TPL files can be used for a Mail Merge, or an email, from the web client.  You just have to make a change to your preferences.

When logged into the web client, click Tools, Preferences, Word Processor, and change the Word 2003, 2007, 2010 option to ACT Word Processor.  Now, when an attempted Mail Merge takes place, it will look for TPL files, rather than ADT files.  As stated in previous posts to this thread, TPL (template) files are created on the server when logged into the fat client.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar situation...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

bueller?  bueller?

Silver Contributor

Most likely?  Do you have Word installed on the server?  Is word selected under tools, preferences, communication?  TPL files are associated with the aCT word processor which is default if Word (or a compatible version) is not on the same machine ACT is on.  (finally make sure your version of Word is compatible with your version of ACT.)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Jon. If I try to create a template through the website, it serves up a word document on my local PC.. but I have no way of saving an ADT file to the server from my local PC.

If I use the server, no, I dont have Word installed on the server, so it's using ACT's proprietary word processor...
Silver Contributor

When you save an ACT adt template, the default location should be the supplemental files folder which is part of the database and on the server where the ACT database lives.  So, File, Save from a word template should bring up the templates folder.

(866)710 4228

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Jon, but again.. on the server it only allows me to save a TPL file (or a wpa - act word processor document) when I try to create a new letter.
Silver Contributor

I understand believe that is due to not having word installed. However, can you save from a client machine to the templates folder?  This is on the server.  You won't be able to save .adt on the server without having word installed.

(866)710 4228

Copper Super Contributor

Oh OK, thanks Jon. Ok, so I have Word 2007 installed. If I click Write -> New Letter\Email Template, a new word doc opens up, allowing me to add contact fields. Even the header of the window says "Document.adt"

How do I save this file as an ADT file? If I just click "Save", I dont know where it saves to (Im assuming to a temp directory). If I do a Save As, ADT isnt an available file extension. I tried a KB article suggesstion where you save the file name in double quotes - ex: "myTemplate.adt", and I moved that file to the server, but the ACT Mail Merge bombed when it tried to read that file.
Copper Super Contributor

Sorry, should have specified above. When I said "OK, so I have Word 2007 installed", I meant locally on my PC.. so those are the steps Im taking using ACT for Web on my local PC
Solution
Accepted by topic author ewitkows
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Ok, just got off the phone with ACT support, I never determined how to make an ADT on the server, but I did get a workaround.  TPL files can be used for a Mail Merge, or an email, from the web client.  You just have to make a change to your preferences.

When logged into the web client, click Tools, Preferences, Word Processor, and change the Word 2003, 2007, 2010 option to ACT Word Processor.  Now, when an attempted Mail Merge takes place, it will look for TPL files, rather than ADT files.  As stated in previous posts to this thread, TPL (template) files are created on the server when logged into the fat client.

Hope this helps someone else in a similar situation...