Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create an empty contact for each of my 1000 companies

Create an empty contact for each of my 1000 companies

Hello,

In my company list, some companies have contacts linked to, but some companies doesn't have contacts yet.

I would like that each company contains at least one contact linked to, possibly empty, that doesn't matter for me.

Thus I would like to create an empty contact for each company which is not linked to a contact yet.

Is there a way to achieve this automatically ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Best regards,

Trucmuche

Silver Contributor

Re: Create an empty contact for each of my 1000 companies

Not without add in software. However, this is an unusual request.  Care to expain further?  We might have an idea for an easier way.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hello Jomklub !

Thank you for your answer and your interest... :-) I'll explain further with pleasure. I'm learning Act! and maybe I don't understand correctly some techniques to use this wonderful software with intelligence and efficienty...

I'll try to do my best in english, but please forgive me if I'm not clear... :-)

Please let me say that my usage of Sage Act! is really a basic one, for musical purpous. I only have a company list (music clubs, concert halls, concert organizers, labels, record companies, ...), a contact list (managers of artists, directors of labels, music professionals, ...), and I track history of my negociations (emails and phone calls) with my contacts. That's all...

I created a DB with companies and persons which works in those companies. Ideally, I would know the identity of a person inside each company, which would be my preferred interlocutor. But unfortunately, this is not the case for now : sometimes, I only have the general email of the company, but not the email of the person which would be interested by me. Now, I did not entered yet a contact name for each company... But I think that this is problematic for me.

1) If I want to send a mass email with Sage, I think I have to select a list of contacts only. Thus I'm not able to send mass email to companies for which I do not have contact yet. This is the first reason why I'm thinking that it would be better to create a contact for each company, even with a blank name. The general email address is set for each company and automatically populated in the contact information with linked fields (when I have a personal email address for my contacts, I write it in an other field called "personal email").

2) I have to phone to the company and track history of my contacts with them, exactly as I would do If I knew the name of my preferred contact. When I get it's name, I would simply fill in the existing contact form.

Am I clear ?

Thank you once more !

trucmuche

Copper Contributor

for #1 - you aren't limited to sending mass emails to only companies with a contact. Just filter your list to those with an email address and perform a mail merge!

Our database is full of companies with only a general email and no "contact" and it works just fine.

Hello mprange !

Yes, but in my DB, I have companies with general email AND I have contacts with personal email. Hence I have to mix the company list with the contacts list to perform a mail merge...

I can filter in the contact list separately, I can filter in the company list separately, but I did not found how to mix those lists.
Copper Contributor

if you are trying to send the email to all contacts with an email, regardless of general or personal:

Lookup

Other fields

(select the field with the general emails)

Contains Data

click OK and it will give you the list of all contacts with a general email address (with or without a contact name)

now do the same steps:

Lookup

Other fields

(select the field with the personal emails)

Contains data

and under the "For the Current Lookup" field, select "Add to Lookup"

This should give you a combined list for your mass emails.

Ok :-) Thank you very much for the tip :-)

But this does not really solve my problem since it would be easier for me to deal only with contacts and not mix company with contacts...

When I will learn the name of my interlocutor in a company, I will have to transfer history from company to contact...
I think it would be easier to create a contact without name and then fill the field when I get it...

If there is no way to create an empty contact for each company, is there a way to automatically create an empty contact when I create or import a new company ??

Thanks again !
Silver Contributor

Here is a question, why use companies at all?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hello Jon,

and thank you for your question. I have to use companies because it's useful for me... :-) It's useful to group some persons in the same company, it's useful to link some persons between them, to populate company informations to contacts automatically, and so on...

It really has a great interest for me to use companies...
Tuned Listener

i also need sth like that, it should be an option in program since there is create contact from company" option, i have ,just like author, imported companies from sales program and there is no contact so i want to make one contact default for each company just in case that i do not have anyone else . main reason is that it seems that i can sent mass mail only to contact. so is there any way ( mayby through SQL ) than plaese share your wisdom. Smiley Happy