Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create a default filter for Contacts without using permissions/limited access?

Copper Contributor

Create a default filter for Contacts without using permissions/limited access?

My company has several locations. There is a custom field in contacts labeled "Branch". Prior to my starting, users were told that only people assigned to the branch they select when creating contacts will be able to see the record. This, of course was false, as they were using team based permissions, so unless they went to "Select Teams" under Limited Access level, it defaulted to the team of the user.

This creates a problem due to overlap in territories, where duplicates are created in the database and multiple offices are marketing to the same contacts. I would like to set all contacts to public so duplicate checking works as intended, but default to a view where they see only contacts for their branch.

Administrator

Re: Create a default filter for Contacts without using permissions/limited access?

Hi mjmcpe,

Sounds like using dynamic groups would be easiest for you. Each branch having it's own group would let you quickly segment the contacts. Including the Branch fied as a column on the contact list view should also help identify existing records from different branches during lookups.

You could set the startup preference to the group list or group detail view. The detail view option will display the first group in the groups list on startup.
Copper Contributor

Re: Create a default filter for Contacts without using permissions/limited access?

Thanks, Gary,

That does sound like the easiest solution, and probably the way I will go given your answer to my other question here: http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Does-Duplicate-Checking-find-duplicates-a-user-doesn-t-have/....

Unfortunately, whoever setup our system was misguided and believed that they could use the custom field "Branch" as a permission view.

Administrator

It would be possible to set permission views for contacts belonging to different branches, but like I said in your other thread, this would limit the duplicate checking to only those contacts that the user adding the new contact has access to.