Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create Remote database option is greyed out

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Create Remote database option is greyed out

Hi,

We recently had to replace our ACT! database on our server because some incorrect data (over 8000 Contacts) was added to the database in error. The backup of the database had already gone to tape and we were forced to recreate the database from a field salespersons Remote DB that hadn't synced the bad data yet. We were able to recreate the DB on the server and all of the clients show the data from before the bad data went in. The issue is that i'm trying to recreate a remote DB for another field salesperson that did sync the bad data and that option is greyed out. Is it because the database now was originally a remote DB? If so, is there a way around? Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thank you,

Andrew C.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author acacciatore
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Create Remote database option is greyed out

Yes - just follow the steps in the article to create a copy of the remote, back up the copy, then restore it on the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Hello Andrew,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. If you go to Help > About ACT!, click the Database Information button, then scroll down to the bottom in the info box - is sync enabled, and if so what is the Sync Role?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

at this point the role is listed as subscriber

and sync enabled is true as well, sorry, forgot that part

[ Edited ]

That means it is a remote database and cannot be used to create other remotes. How was the remote database moved to the server? I suspect the files were physically moved - the correct way to do it is the make a backup of the remote, then restore it on the server using "Restore As". Instructions are in the following Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1427...

Greig Hollister

the files were pysically moved because of the bad data that was added to the original database and the only DB that we had available without the bad data was the Remote DB. But i can create a new DB using the data from the Remote DB correct? That is what is on the link that you sent.? Thanks for the quick response, as well. I didn't think to get one so fast.

Andrew C. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author acacciatore
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Yes - just follow the steps in the article to create a copy of the remote, back up the copy, then restore it on the server.

Greig Hollister

Thank you very much, that worked out nicely. The newly created DB is listed as a Publisher DB and I was able to create a new remote DB for my remote user. One more thing though... My remote user says he's getting an error message when he trys to sync with the main publisher the error is

"Unable to acquire Sync Server object.  Server Error Description: Failed to find main database [\\MA-GRAPHICS-1\Avimaster_publisher_DB] for sync.  Contact your administrator for assistance."

He's connected to our network via a VPN, and this is the way that he's synced his DB before. The database "AviMaster_publisher_DB" is the main publisher and the sync enabled is true. Is there a setting someplace i missed?

Thank you again.

Andrew C.

I figured out the issue, the Syncing service on the server didnt have the new DB path. We should be all set now. Thank you so much for all the help.

Andrew C.

My pleasure - glad you were able to get it resolved

Greig Hollister