Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create Duplicate contact

Loyal Listener

Create Duplicate contact

When I try to create duplicate contact I get:

Go to record then Contact / Duplicate Contact - then either selection - Error= "Value cannot be null".

Have to create new record then add data to blank record.

Does same if take check duplicate settings off

Act Premium 2010 sp1 hf1

TIA

Paul M Tate
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Create Duplicate contact

Hello Paul,

This is a known issue that is currently under investigation. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for a suggested workaround:

Error: "Value cannot be null" When Attempting to Duplicate a Contact

An update will be provided when additional information regarding a solution is available. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have gone to answer ID 25981 and tried matching "my" user name in Manage users with the contact name. When I log in again with the new user name I still continue to get the error "value cannot be null" when trying to create a duplicate contact. In a multi user environment does every user need to make the change for the fix to work? Can I make the change to the user names on the server and have it update when people are synchronizing? Then people would log in using new user name.

Is Sage creating a fix for this for the program?

Copper Contributor

I am having the same issue.  Sage notes this has a known issue since March.

What is the update on the fix?

Hello ptsstaff,

This issue is still under investigation. The error is erratic and thus far we have not been able to consistently reproduce it in-house. We will provide an update when more information regarding a cause and solution is available. For the time being, the process described in Knowledgebase article 25981 is the only known workaround to this issue.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Is there an answer to the above question?  "In a multi user environment does every user need to make the change for the fix to work?"

I also get a blank contact screen when duplicating a contact, only after you save the contact does the duplicate information appear.

Since we are still unsure as to the exact cause of the error, it is advised that all users (network and remote) have their login name and contact record name match. As for the blank screen, this does not sound like it is related to this issue. This may just be a delayed refresh...pressing F5 on your keyboard should make the data display. It may also depend on whether you are choosing to duplicate data from primary fields or all fields.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Is there an update to this issue from 4 months ago?

Is the fix included in hotfix 2?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Do you have any Contact fields set to requiring a mandatory data entry or do you have a field that is set to load a default entry or both?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

No to both.  Act confirmed this problem above and has no update on the issue.