Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Could not find file 'C:\...\ActSage.exe.config'

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Could not find file 'C:\...\ActSage.exe.config'

OK, just installed the Great New V16 of ACT! Premium on 15 workstations. On about half of them, both XP and Win7 workstations, The error, Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe.config' pops up before the ACT! Splash screen comes up. Users are just hitting the "OK" button and ACT! is loading and apparently, working just fine. 

Does anyone know where the switch is that I can tweak to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSWilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Could not find file 'C:\...\ActSage.exe.config'

JSWilson,

What that means is that Act! is trying to look for the configuration file for a previous version of Act!  Have you upgraded your version of v16 to include Hotfix 2?

To download Hotfix 2, click here: http://cdn.act.dlm.swiftpage.com/2915/act16hf2.exe

It shouldn't be looking for this file, but since it is we can give it what it wants.  If you browse to your installation folder you will find a file named Act!.exe.config. Right-click that file and click Copy, then right click in an open area of the window and click paste.  Renamed that file to actsage.exe.config.

Try to restart Act! and it should go away.  Again, this isn't something that is supposed to happen, so I'm hoping Hotfix 2 will correct this.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author JSWilson
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

JSWilson,

What that means is that Act! is trying to look for the configuration file for a previous version of Act!  Have you upgraded your version of v16 to include Hotfix 2?

To download Hotfix 2, click here: http://cdn.act.dlm.swiftpage.com/2915/act16hf2.exe

It shouldn't be looking for this file, but since it is we can give it what it wants.  If you browse to your installation folder you will find a file named Act!.exe.config. Right-click that file and click Copy, then right click in an open area of the window and click paste.  Renamed that file to actsage.exe.config.

Try to restart Act! and it should go away.  Again, this isn't something that is supposed to happen, so I'm hoping Hotfix 2 will correct this.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Copper Contributor

Thank you Billy,

HF2 installed, but it took copying the ACT!.exe.config to ActSage.exe.config to get it to not throw that error.

There must be something carried over from the original install. I did Not uninstall before I installed V16, but then, on over half the machines, V16 installed without producing this error.

Thanks for answering,

John Wilson

Copper Contributor

This addon reply is to ask for further clarification on this issue. It would seem that a .config file would be open to modification from future updates, which would be problematic if indeed, the copy is being considered in the launch of ACT!

On that note it would also seem prudent to find the total solution and not rely long term on this work around. You Can't fool Mother for too long before it usually gets you in trouble.

Thanks for any additional input on this.

JSWilson,

Unfortunately at this point I don't have any addition information for you, except that I'm looking into it.  This requires installing old versions and repeatedly upgrading to v16 to see if I can duplicate the issue.

The idea is that when this problem goes away, you won't even notice it.  If we release a hotfix or a service pack that addresses this issue, it will start looking for the standard config file.  On your next upgrade/install it will hopefully wipe out that file, and not ask for it again.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Copper Contributor

Excellant!

Thank you, 

Again!

Copper Elite Contributor

I just resolved this issue with the help of Brenda in Act tech support. In my case it was the fact that my Peachtree link to PT 2010 was looking for it. All I had to do was copy the program from the install directory of 2013 into the the folder in the V16 Programs file and the error went away. Luckily the link still worked also.

I would gues that other add-ons might give that error as well

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Copper Contributor

Bob,

Thank you for posting your experience. That makes complete sense in our network. It turns out, only the workstations that have the Add-On for integration to our Accounting, Sage BusinessWorks, had the issue. I'm Very glad to know that creating the copy file and renaming it what that app is looking for isn't acutally side railing the main ACT! functions. 

The fix you described is not available to us as we've deleted the 2013 folders, etc. Another possible task that could help is uninstalling and reinstalling the ACT! to Accounting interface utility, which I haven't tried as the initial effort stopped the error. 

In my opinion the final "fix" will need to come from our respective Accounting Apps with an updated integration install. Everything else seems to be working as expected for us at this time.

Too bad I've already shot the "Answer" to Billy, although it was also great info.

Copper Elite Contributor

Just download the 2013 version but don't instal. Copy the file from the instal folder. Or maybe someone can e-mail it to you.
Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Silver Super Contributor

I'm attaching the ActSage.exe.config file from ACT! 2013 Premium SP1 to this message.  You will need to remove the ".txt" at the end of it.  Hopefully that will resolve the issue for you.

Stasn

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!