Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Could not find database xxx on Windows-7-PC

Could not find database xxx on Windows-7-PC

I’m trying to open an Act! PAD Database in Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367 but I keep getting a ‘Could not find database BFA on Windows-7-PC’ message. I am using a standalone computer not on a network. '

I have put the PAD in: C:\Users\Windows-7\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows11\databases folder along with the Act11demo file. I have checked for solutions online and the most relevant related comment I can find is that the database is not shared as doing a Notepad properties on the PAD file shows a "." which I believe means it is not shared.

However the solution given is to share it through Tools and then Database Maintenance in Act! But how can I do this when it won’t open in Act! And the only top navigation menu items availbalbe are File and Help and not Tools?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Could not find database xxx on Windows-7-PC

Can you open the demo database? If not the most likely cause is that the SQL server isn't started.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I can open the demo database without any problems.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try deleting the PAD file and open with the ADF.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, but I can’t find any .adf files. What I have is the BFA.PAD file and BFA zip back up file. If I try  opening the BFA.PAD, I get the ‘Could not find database BFA on Windows-7-PC’ message. If I try using Restore, I get the message 'the backup for this database can only be restored  on the machine that was used to create it'. If I try using Restore As I get the message in restoreas.jpeg (.Bak is incorrectly formed).

Administrator

Hi lempicka,

The .PAD file is simply a pointer to the main database file which is the .ADF file. Do you have the original .ADF file?
When a backup is made, a Zip file is created. Just to confirm, when you try to Restore As and select the Zip file, you receive the error in the screenshot?
Bronze Elite Contributor

It looks like you need to do a - restore as - on the zip file from ACT - File - Restore as. give it anew name so there is no confusion with other parts of old database.

Yes, that is the message I get when I do a 'Restore As'

Administrator

Please could you try restoring the database using ActDiag as detailed in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36674

The version of ActDiag you have will not have this option. Please download and use the version I have attached.