Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Could not authenticate user. Cannot open remote database.

Copper Contributor

Could not authenticate user. Cannot open remote database.

After creating a new database and then a new remote database I have been unable to open the remote database on the remote computer. I get the following error after successfully unpacking it and trying to open it: "Could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password and try again."

I have tried everything in the referenced knowledgebase article. The username and password are correct. I have detached and reattched. I have opened the demo database. I have changed the sync set from all contacts to active contacts and back again. I am using Act 2012 Premium SP1. I have not tried to remove the software mentioned (backup software, I understand), because I don't have anything like this registered in Windows and would not know how to take it off and then put it back on. 

Does anyone have a suggestion on what else can be done? This installation of Act was working perfectly on the previous remote database.

Thank you.

Employee

Re: Could not authenticate user. Cannot open remote database.

Hello magreenfield,

I this a multi-user database or single-user database.  Also, try and verify the username on the master database.

If multi-user - then log into the remote database has the Administrator of the database.

If single-user then 

- create new remote database

- or call into support to recover the user-name and password. (possible charge may apply)

- http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14150/kw/14150/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0MjA5NzY5...

- complete this form.

Raj

Copper Contributor

As I wrote before, I went through all of the solutions offered in the Knowledge base. 

This is a single user database.

The owner user of the database is confirmed as correct. The password of the master database is confirmed as correct.

This solution does not work.

Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

It could possibly be a damaged copy of the RDB file from the move to the workstation.

Assuming the original copy of the RDB file is still on the host computer, restore it on the host computer and attempt to open (Do Not Attempt Synchronization). 

If successful, detach the database from SQL and move the ADF, ALF, and 'database files' to the workstation.  Then open the database on the workstation using the ADF.  

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I deleted the remote database, created a new one on the host computer. Restored it on the host computer in another data directory. I was unable to open the remote database on the host computer. I had the same error message. Evidently the bug is with the host database creating the remote database. What next?

Copper Contributor

I replied to the suggestion that I try opening the remote database on the host computer with no luck. I haven't had any response. Is there something I can do, or should I scrap Act at this point? Thanks.

Copper Contributor

I replied a couple of time to the suggestion that I try opening the remote database on the host computer with no luck. I haven't had any response. There is a "suggestion" in the list of solutions on the knowledgebase to reinstall Veritas backup software, but it is not clear how to do this. There are no instructions. Is there anything left to do, or should I scrap Act? Someone please reply.

I would try going into the main database, Tools > Manage Users and verify the Username (not the contact name). I would then reset the password to blank. Create a new remote and restore/attempt to open (do not attempt sync) on the host computer. If successful, copy the RDB file to the workstation and restore it.

If the RDB will not restore/open on the workstation, you can stop the SQL Server (ACT7) service and copy the successfully restored/opened remote from the host to the workstation (do not copy the PAD file) and open it with the ADF.
Greg Martin
Sage

We are experiencing the same issue with more than one user. Of the seven remote users recently setup, three are experiencing this problem. I have also tried the suggested remedies and with the same result - none of them seem to work.  

IBP21,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

If these are new users/new remotes, did you sign into the main database with the new username to set it to 'Active' (Tools > Manage Users) before creating the remotes?

If no, sign into the main database with the new usernames, then sign into the problem remotes with your username and sync. this will update the user information and should allow them to then sign in with their own information.
Greg Martin
Sage