Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Corrupt Layout?

Copper Contributor

Corrupt Layout?

All,

I was trying to add some new field's to my Contact tab within the Design layout screen. The computer would just hang as I tried to insert any fields under this tab.   In one case it hung for about 2 hours.   I'm on the phone with ACT tech support for 3 hours. They tried to retrieve an earlier Layout file from couple of weeks ago with no success.   They say my basic layout file is corrupted and now I have to recreate my basic layout, including all of the unique tabs and configuration that I have added over the last 10 years.   Wow that's going to take me a long time.  Tech support gave up.  Any suggestions out there?

Administrator

Re: Corrupt Layout?

Do you have any remote databases connected to this DB?

If so, it's possible the remote DB has an uncorrupted copy of the layout you could use.

If you have any backups that included attachments, you could try restoring these as a new database and copying the layout file from there? Are you aware of when this problem started?
Copper Contributor

Remote DB:   I updated to Ver 20.1 on May 21st and my second laptop may have an RDB from couple of months ago so the versions would no longer be the compatible. 

I back up to my second D (internal) drive each week and to 2 other external hard drives that I rotate every other week.  

Ive used ACT since 2005 and have done alot of configuration thru the Design Layout, never had even one issue until this Tuesday.

Told the tech guy first time Ive ever had a layout issue in all those years and this latest incident was only after the ACT 20.1 Upgrade that I did on May 21st, I dont however know if that has any connection to this layout problem.   

Wow, this will be a setback if I can find a older Layout file that i can restore.  Ouch!

Copper Contributor

I've tried to restore earlier Contact Layout files from backups after updating to Ver Act Prem Ver20.1 (May 21, 2018),  then I tried to restore Contact Layout from prior to the most recent update (previous to May 21st), and then I from a Contact Layout file from months ago from my Remote DB (thinking that I would take a months old Layout file and even if I then had to go thru and update the layout from that date forward I would still be much better then starting from scratch).   Nothing worked, get the same response once I clik the Design Layout and then on the "Contacts" tab the computer hangs, at that point only way out is to End ACT and restart.   Changing they Design Layout in any other of the Design Layout tabs seems to be just fine.   

Hard to believe that maybe I could have done something to cause this, as I have not used the Design Layout in a few weeks prior to this latest issue.

Any Know issues to the ACT Ver update 20.1?    On Friday the Tech support folks said there were none.  

Anyone have any suggestions that I can use rather they to start from scratch,   again starting over with the Design Layout that I have developed looks to me a long undertaking.     Thanks

Administrator

So to clarify - if you go into the Attachments folder of the remote and find the layout file, then copy it and rename the copy, then place that copied layout into the Attachments/Layouts file of you main database - you're still getting an error message trying to open the new layout?

If there's no sensitive data on the layout - you could try attaching it to your post on the forum and I can take a look to see if there's anything we can do.
Copper Contributor

Jon,  I went to the Supplemental files in the database folder on the remote computer and under the Layouts folder I copied the 'Basic Contact Layout 1024x768.cpy',  copied that to a thumb drive and then pasted it to the main laptop folder (I did not rename this file, I just overwrote the same file in my main DB).

Yesterday I even uninstalled ACT Prem Ver 20.1 and reinstalled,   thought maybe this would correct the situation but it did not. 

File is attached, there is nothing sensitive in that file as far as I know.    Thanks   Jim 

I tried to attache the file, but the message says "the Contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type",  wont let me attach it.  

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

All,  I was a bit surprised in talking with ACT tech support last week.  The tech support guy said I have three options he can kick this up to the to the research technicians who will fix this at a cost (if this is some know issue then ACT should fix this, which we don't know at this point),  I can just live with it the way it is or I can start over with a new basic layout and reenter all my layout fields.   This last option will take me many many hours.    

There is no damage to my database, the only issue I have now is that the "Contacts" tab within the Design Layout just cant be changed.    I find it a bit bizzare that tech support is OK if I have a damaged ACT product out there in the ACT world.

Now, not sure what direction to go.   Am  I at the point of hiring a ACT consultant to fix this?   Anyone out there come across this issue and can weigh in here with advice?     Thanks

Administrator

Hi Jim,

Could you put the file into a zip? Right - click > send to zip - and then try attaching it?

If that fails, feel free to email the layout to me at community@swiftpage.com
Copper Contributor

Jon,   Here is the zipped Layout file.   Hope this can be fixed.

According to my conversation with act tech support, and also what I am experiencing, is the only tab within the basic layout design that apparently has issues is the ‘contact info’ tab. This is a tab that I configured years ago that I use for details regarding a particular contact.   I have fiddled with other tabs in Design Layout/basic layout and I don't seem to be having issues with those.  Occurred to me this morning to restore as a test database and remove the ‘contact Info’ tab and then recreate a new ‘contacts info’ tab, I'm going to work on that in the next couple of days I don't know if this is a solution.    If you find something from the attached files by all means please let me know.   Jim

Administrator

Hi Jim,

I've downloaded your layout - and I'm able to make changes with no problems at all. This leads me to believe that the whole file isn't corrupted - but maybe just one field or section - because my database has different fields to yours, when I edit the layout all fields that don't exist in my DB are 'unassigned'.

The easiest way to fix this, if it is a broken field, would be as you've suggested - to just recreate that tab.