Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying data base

Copying data base

I am trying to install ACT on a sales persons computer at a different location.  My data base in very large.  I am trying to copy the data base from my computer to a DVD or scan key and then import it into the other computer but I can't figure out how to do that.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying data base

Are you just trying to move a database from one PC to another?

Or are you trying to have a copy on another PC?

Or do you want to have the databases sync so that a change made to one can be sent to the other to keep the two databases up-to-date?

I want to keep my files on my compueter, make a copy of those files and put them on two other computers that are in another location.  Both of the other two computers have the software necessary.  Eventually we will want to sync but for now, the two new sales people want to use the files for an upcoming tradeshow for mailers and sales leads. I just hired these sales people or we would have done this lots sooner. 

What do you mean "eventually" you will want to sync?

Setting up sync has to be done at the time you create the remote databases, so it's probably better to do that now.

This is from one of my partners.

All we need to know is –

Can my ACT company and contact data be exported to a readable file by another copy (same version) of ACT.

That is the $1,000,000 question for you to find the answer to.

G l e n n

I think you are saying...we have to do the full sync thing first. That means I may have to buy a tech plan because I have no idea how to do that. In 2003 and 2004 I just did a copy with a sales person, uploaded it to their computer and then did the automatic email sync in the evenings. I gusee that is not going to happen this time. Do you reccommend I call tech support. I certainly don't want to take up you time.

Hi Mike,

Most important is this.

Glenn is a marketing partner.  he wants to creat a mailer for the tradeshow ASAP.  He needs my data file on his computer in his ACT software to do that.  Do I make a back up and then copy that back up to a scan disk? 

watchfuleye wrote:

This is from one of my partners.

All we need to know is –

Can my ACT company and contact data be exported to a readable file by another copy (same version) of ACT.

That is the $1,000,000 question for you to find the answer to.

G l e n n

File | Backup - send the ZIP file to the other system.

Then - File | Restore | Restore As

I think you are saying...we have to do the full sync thing first. That means I may have to buy a tech plan because I have no idea how to do that. In 2003 and 2004 I just did a copy with a sales person, uploaded it to their computer and then did the automatic email sync in the evenings. I gusee that is not going to happen this time. Do you reccommend I call tech support. I certainly don't want to take up you time.

To set up sync, try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6qwsbr

But I'd recommend getting a Certified Consultant to set it up for you... they'd be faster and avoid simple issues.

If you let me know where you are, I could recommend one for you

watchfuleye wrote:

Hi Mike,

Most important is this.

Glenn is a marketing partner.  he wants to creat a mailer for the tradeshow ASAP.  He needs my data file on his computer in his ACT software to do that.  Do I make a back up and then copy that back up to a scan disk? 

You only need sync if you want the histy of Glenn's work to be added to your database.

I am in Park City, UT 

Thank you,

Linda 

One last question Mike.  Can I export my entire 7,000 contact names to excel?  I have seen that I can do that for individual ID status.  I don't get that option when I have "all contacts" selected.

Thanks,

Linda