Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying custom contact layout from one computer to another

Copying custom contact layout from one computer to another

Hey guys so I am currently using Act! Premium 2008 and have a list of clients about 110 on my network and have been doing custom tabs on the bottom half of the screen on another computer with Act! that is not connected to my network with my list of clients.  I am finished creating my custom contact layout which is full of fields and custom drop down lists which I made through the define fields option.  I went to transfer and only the labels are transfering properly.  The fields are showing up as blank grey spaces that have no function.  If anyone has any help for me that woud be greatly appreciated.  Also maybe if someone knows where the backup files for the drop down lists and fields are located would help. Any help would be great thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying custom contact layout from one computer to another

Custom layouts such as the one you created are specific to the database where they are created. The database you moved the layout to either doesn't have the fields you added or they are identified differently and they won't link up. If you go to Tools | Design Layouts and open the layout for editing, you will see the fields in the layout there and you can link each layout field to the database field through the properties panel.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond.  I am a little confused as to what I am supposed to do.  I went into my documents, Act, databases, then just copied the layouts folder onto a flashdrive and replaced the layouts folder on the computer with the clients with the custom layout i designed.  How would i fix the fields for entering information and for selecting from drop down boxes.  The labels are perfect, and the fields boxes are showing but asre blank and have no function.

Try double clicking in the blank field or press the F4 function key to display the properties panel and make the field selection from there.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok I see what you mean, none of the field values are showing up that I used when creating the layout.  How do I get the field values from the first computer to the second computer?

You don't. You will have to create the fields in this database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok so I have to re-create every field i made on the old computer?

Yes, sorry.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129