Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting error pre7actdb.adb I am trying to convert my ACT6 database to ACT18 Premier for Web

Copper Contributor

Converting error pre7actdb.adb I am trying to convert my ACT6 database to ACT18 Premier for Web

I am trying to convert my ACT6 database to ACT18 Premium for Web, the conversation starts but after a few minutes i get an error with pre7actdb.adb

I managed to convert the database fine about 4 weeks ago as a test but am now trying to do it again so we can go live. I didn't get this error 4 weeks ago, it worked fine. 

Any ideas on how to get over the pre7actdb.adb error? 

I am doing this on a windows 8 32 bit machine 

Could there be some old conversation files stoping this from working. I have even tried to convert the ACT6 demo database and i get the same error which is why i am thing its a configuration issue and not an act database issue.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Converting error pre7actdb.adb I am trying to convert my ACT6 database to ACT18 Premier for Web

I've run into this a couple of times.  There are several reasons.

First off, did you convert it before on a different machine.  There have been situations where running on a 64 bit machine can cause that error.  

The file it is trying to read is the activities database.  You can try running ACTDIAG in Act 6 and make sure you tell it to clean up activities in the repair area.

Another thing to check is field lenghts.  ACT 6 opportunity TYPE could be longer than 64 characters.  The new ACT doesn't allow that.  Although this is probably not the problem because you would not have been able to upgrade it previously. 

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

Re: Converting error pre7actdb.adb I am trying to convert my ACT6 database to ACT18 Premier for Web

Where do I find the opportunity type to check the length ?

I have loaded act18 onto a completely new machine and I still get the problem. I also get it on actdemo which I have not touched

I could delete activities

Bronze Contributor

Unfortunately you  can't get it from ACTDIAG. What I have done is open ACT in 6.0, open a new Sales entry, click on the Type dropdown and export the list.  I then, rather than count each one, brought it into Excel and then did an Excel formula to count the characters  (it's the =lenght(cellnumber).

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

I tried to do the convert over the network to start with and realised I shouldn't do that, would that leave any files that are stopping it from working ?
Bronze Contributor

Ya, that might be the issue.  ACT 6.0 files are flat files and not linked to SQL.  After running a scan and repair from ACTDIAG for 6.0, copy all the files over to where the new ACT lives and try it there.

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Patricia Egen for sorting out a ACT 6 conversation to ACT 18 this weekend.