Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting contact to companies

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Converting contact to companies

This year we converted from 2000 to 2011 - Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 6.

We've only ever entered folks as contacts, never as companies and are considering converting our contact to companies.

Not sure the best approach and the pros/cons.

Do we convert one contact to a company and then link the rest to the company or.... ?

Also - what is the point, purpose, features of having companies vs. just everyone as a contact?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author suewhoserves
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Why do we need our contacts as companies

Sue, if you sell to consumers, or you sell to one person per company, then Company records may not provide much value to you.  But, if you sell to multiple people within companies, then Company records may provide a bird's eye view of each deal.  For example, if you have 5 people at the same company and you've linked them all to the one Company Record and you enter activities and histories for all 5, you'll be able to see all of those activities and histories, together, on the Company Activity or History Tab.  Likewise with Opportunities and Notes.  And there are fields that are more pertinent to the Company than to any single contacts - fields like their SIC code, # of employees, Products or Services of interest to them.  And, if they move, a single change to the Company Address will propagate down to all linked Contacts.

Signature

View solution in original post

All Replies

Why do we need our contacts as companies

We currently have everyone as a Contact and the owner wants me to explain the benefits of converting to companies.

Other than the organization of it, I’m not sure of the pros or cons.

We have our primary fields set so when we duplicate a contact they copy over.

It's not too much effort to replace everyone’s address or ID/Status across contacts if that changes.

So, I’m out of ideas on how this would benefit us.

We are a small office, 3 ACT users and mainly setup for the owner’s use.

Would love some input!

Solution
Accepted by topic author suewhoserves
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Sue, if you sell to consumers, or you sell to one person per company, then Company records may not provide much value to you.  But, if you sell to multiple people within companies, then Company records may provide a bird's eye view of each deal.  For example, if you have 5 people at the same company and you've linked them all to the one Company Record and you enter activities and histories for all 5, you'll be able to see all of those activities and histories, together, on the Company Activity or History Tab.  Likewise with Opportunities and Notes.  And there are fields that are more pertinent to the Company than to any single contacts - fields like their SIC code, # of employees, Products or Services of interest to them.  And, if they move, a single change to the Company Address will propagate down to all linked Contacts.

Signature
Copper Super Contributor

Sue, I have a lot of customers who are company-focused and we start there.  For example, they have distributors who have customers.  They have a contact record AND a company record for the distributor and their distributor contact but they have only a company record for the distributor's customer.  Associating the end-user company to the distributor (usually by making it a "division" of the distributor company record), they can see "ownership". 

With one particular customer, we even made changes to launch ACT! in the company detail screen.  With that change, along with other workflow automation, they saw a 30% increase in "production" from 2010 to 2011.

Because you can link company to contact fields, you can create fields that you want/need to see in the contact detail.  When you create contacts from companies, all that pertinent information comes over to the contact record.  Salespeople (in my customer base) have found this very helpful.

There are tools that can help you make the process of creating companies from your contacts very easy.

My two cents worth.  Smiley Wink

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com