Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting Act 2000 to Act 2013 Problems

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Converting Act 2000 to Act 2013 Problems

I have an enduser that is having issues with this endeavour.  In fact, I have three people that use Act, all with Act 2000 databases going to Act 2013.  All three have the same issue.  Initially, we had thought it was a domain policy issue.  So I downloaded the demo version, so I don't use their paid licence since they had already bought it.  They gave me a copy of the database...

I got access denied errors initially when running this, even as a local admin when it got to SQL server portion.  I took them out of the domain, installed it as a local admin once again, even followed the documentation on configuring the database manually.  That part is now successful, even when I run actdiag

However, when I ran the conversion tool when trying to open it up, I got the infamous:

Conversion has been halted with the following message:
The process cannot access the file 'pre7actdb.adb' because it is being used by another process.

For giggles, I tried creating a brand spanking new database.

I then received:

Directory lookup for the file "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases\Foo.ADF" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

For more giggles, I installed this on a Windows XP laptop, also out of the domain, and it worked fine, intalled fine, coverted fine and works fine.  However, these folks are all on Windows 7 x64.  My machine I had been testing today is Windows 7 x86. 

I can't run the fix tools, as other articles mentioned since there isn't any active database.  So nothing is listed to repair, in fact the tool triggers an exception fault since there isn't anything populated in the list.

I am unsure where to go from this point.  I got three salesmen that need this software and I had really tried everything I can think up of. 

Any other help that can be offered would be greatly appfeciated.

Thanks so much!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jweinraub
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Converting Act 2000 to Act 2013 Problems

Ok.  Weird.  For s&g, I ran the coverter tool again, b/c all I had was a bak file, not the zip file, since the computer where I ran it initially, the trial expired.  So, when I went back, I went to convert it, per usual, and rather than use the default directory, I chose to store the ADF file in a folder on the desktop, now, I am running this as a local admin user, outside of the domain, and then it worked...fine!

I do NOT know why the desktop opposed to the admin\my docs folder would make a difference, but it seemed to had done so.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Windows 7 wouldn't be the problem, I've converted ACT! 2000 databases on a Windows 7 system. One possibility is that you aren't doing the conversion on the local hard drive. 

By the way is you have a successful conversion on the XP system simply backup the database in the ACT! program and do a restore as on the target system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Pardon my ignornace, but hpw do I do this?  Technically my company no longer supports Act since going to an ERP solution, but the salesmen use Act for the legacy information.  I assume I will need to repeat this process for all three oft hem that need it immediatley?  I am sure the rest will follow suit once they hear it has been successful.

However, why would not being in the domain cause issues with installing the SQL Server 2008 R2?

The entire Act 6 database is copied right now to my desktop.  In fact, I copied it to the local admin desktop and ran it as local admin, not in the domain to see if that would work (it did not)

Copper Contributor

I had seemed to locate the backup functionality and when I tried to restore it, I got the same errors as I did when I attempted to make a new Act database from within Act.  Access denied level 5 or something.

You would have to use the Restore As option because the restore option is for restoring the database to the original location. The ACT! program and the SQL server must be installed on the system where the database is being located and the database must be on a local drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I still get access denied when trying to restore as. I can't even create a blank Act database. The SQL server is local, everything is local. The server is running, doesn't even have any databases. The actdiag tool crashes because it traps an exception when I try to do anything with the database list.
Copper Contributor

Is there anything else I can do at this point?  I am getting frustrated endusers that don't know what else to do at this point.

My best suggestion would be to contact an ACC and have them troubleshoot your problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I did a webmeeting with them and got nowhere.  Only thing we did was take too log as local admin, no dice.  Then I took it out of the domain, rebooted, logged in as local admin, finally got the SQL server to work, but still have issues converting.  I think the conversion is only failing because the database can't be populated, as I get the access denied error when I try to make a brand new act database.

Copper Contributor

Roy,

I know it has been awhile, but, I wanted to update you.  I removed the machine out of the domain.  Uninstalled Act and all of the SQL 2008 stuff, rebooted, reinstalled.  I can now create a new Act database, so the deatabase no longer has access denieds.  But, I am still unable to convert the Act 6 database to Act 2013.  Using the same db, I am able to successfully convert it on my home Act 2013 demo software, on a Windows 7 x64 machine.  So I doubt its the OS that is causing this.

How do I run the repairs using actdiag, or what other steps can you think of, now that the SQL server is no longer the issue.  At least that one hurdle is resolved!