Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Convert Act. v4 to Act v. 8 2006

Convert Act. v4 to Act v. 8 2006

I have 2 databases from Act v. 4 that I need to get converted in Act. V.8 (2006) to run both in with the web version and premium for workgroups version.

I still have access to a computer that runs Act. v. 4 - I exported all the data and also Backed it up (I think to a zip file).

What do I need to do?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Convert Act. v4 to Act v. 8 2006

A couple of things.

Firstly, I have not read about good success migrating from such an old version to 2008. What I have done, and what I was taught to do, is upgrade first to version 2004 (a.k.a. V6), and then upgrade to 2008.

This, however, is not always practical or possible, so you have to keep in mind the differences between the programs AND what you're trying to migrate.

If you have a lot of attachments in your V4 database, you have to remember that those attachments are actually shortcuts, and that the shortcust must be accessible from the system you're doing the upgrade on. If they're not, the attachments.shortcuts will nto be converted during the upgrade.

Is your database primary a large contact list that can be exported to a spreadsheet, or does it contain lots of history, notes, user information, etc? If you can get away with exported the database to a CSV file, then your ACT2008 upgrade/import is assured of success.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Convert Act. v4 to Act v. 8 2006

The ACT! 6.0 trial is available in the ACT! Knowledge Base... you should get it, update to 6.0 and do a Compress/Reindex as well as a Maintenance in 6.0 ACTDIAG before converting.