Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Control what companies are sync'd.

Tuned Listener

Control what companies are sync'd.

[ Edited ]

Hello 

So basically we have a main office which has an ACT 2010 Premium for Web database, then we have another office on the other side of the world.

I have been playing around with the sync options in ACT and have successfully got it to sync to a secondary database. Now the tricky part is we only want to sync contact info for contacts and companies relating to that office. So setting it up to sync the correct contacts was easy. But for the life of me I can not find a way to select what companies are sync'd (we do not want to sync them all). 

Is it possible to do this or can anyone suggest a work around?

Thanks, Justin 

Message Edited by lethallynx on 02-03-2010 06:48 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Control what companies are sync'd.

You are using ACT! Premium so as such you have the ability to apply access control to Contacts Groups and Companies. If you want to limit what records are synchronised you should make use of the access control feature in ACT! Refer the Contact Info tab in ACT! Premium and the Help menu for understanding Limited Access. What is important is to assign only the specific user that will be logging onto the remote database to the sync set. If that user is a Standard user or of lesser status then that will limit the data that gets synchronised. The best way to control the dissemination of records in ACT! is to use the access control facility provided in Premium rather than construction of sync sets based on a query.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Control what companies are sync'd.

It's my understanding that the *listing* (i.e. the "tree" view) of both Group, and Companies will get sync'd no matter what.  So, a remote user will always see the full listing of Groups, and the full listing of Companies. 

However, you can prevent them from viewing the associated data in that Group or Company via Limited Access.  If you limit a Group/Company, the name will be greyed out - they can see it, but not click on it.

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com