Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contacts deleted - attachments still remain in folder - How do I remove them?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Contacts deleted - attachments still remain in folder - How do I remove them?

Sorry - I posted similarly recently but not in the right place.  Just getting to grips with the new forum structure.

I'm really desperate to find the answer to my problem - I have two weeks before my database is made available to a wider audience and I need to de-sensitise it.  I've deleted the contacts that I don't want to be visible in the future but all their attached emails and documents remain intact in the attachments folder.  I'm sure there must be some easy way to compact the database so that these redundant files are removed but HOW????.  I've done all the Actdiag database tidying activities and am now stumped.

I have a main database used directly by 5-6 folk and around 10 folk on laptops using remote databases  - using ACT v10 Premium for Workgrops.

Andy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Contacts deleted - attachments still remain in folder - How do I remove them?

Thank you for participating in the ACT! Community. I have duplicated the issue you described and have reported it as an issue for further research. I will provide an update if the status changes or if an alternative workaround to this issue is identified. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.

As a workaround to remove the attachments, you can create an empty copy of the database and import the original into the copy.  This will of course require you to create new remote databases for your users.

How to Create an Empty Copy of Your ACT! Database

How to Import a Multi-User Database and Retain the Record Manager in ACT!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Contacts deleted - attachments still remain in folder - How do I remove them?

Thank you for participating in the ACT! Community. I have duplicated the issue you described and have reported it as an issue for further research. I will provide an update if the status changes or if an alternative workaround to this issue is identified. I apologize for any inconvenience this issue may cause.

As a workaround to remove the attachments, you can create an empty copy of the database and import the original into the copy.  This will of course require you to create new remote databases for your users.

How to Create an Empty Copy of Your ACT! Database

How to Import a Multi-User Database and Retain the Record Manager in ACT!

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

David,

If I understand well the message from Andy, a simple Check and repair will delete all orphan files.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Contributor

David,

Thank you for responding.  I'd sort of come to the conclusion that this was my only way forward but the pain of re-creating all those remote databases will be extreme!  Do you think this comes in the class of 'working as designed' or is it effectively a bug?

Xavier,

Unfortunately, check and repair via ActDiag does NOT delete these unwanted files - I did specific checks in the attachments directory before and after deleting the contacts to be sure, given the sensitivity of some of the information. And of course the remaining files (mostly docs and Outlook messages) are completely readable by somebody with Microsoft Office.

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and re-build, I fear.....  I'll wait a day or so in case another suggestion pops up.

Andy

Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

gyroman wrote:

Unfortunately, check and repair via ActDiag does NOT delete these unwanted files 

Try directly in ACT via Tools > Database maintenance > Check and repair

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Copper Contributor

Xavier,

Fair comment but, no, that didn't work either.  I guess I always assumed it was calling the same code as ACTDiag does; that would seem to be the case now.  Thanks anyway.

Andy

JM
Nickel Contributor

David L.

I confirmed this bug not only with removed attachments but in my removing History record type "field changed" on my Primary DB (I have two remote DB's). My 740MB DB file with 58,886 contacts running ACT 11.1 EX Premium on Vista 32bit Home Premium with 3GB RAM.

It was reduced when I run ACT's remove old data, histories older than 0 day (history record count is 257,533) took about 2 min, than it asked and I let it run re-index after which the ADF file size dropped to 451MB. I did not have to run ACTDIAG steps. I created an empty copy DB it's size is 80MB.

DB ADF did not shrink at all when I used Purge History by www.exponenciel.com to find in Contact Table DB history type "field changed" and remove the 257439 records. ACTDIAG did very little reduction. I thought about what you said earlier to create empty copy of DB than export out as ACT DB into empty one to get size of DB reduced. BTW: I've also noticed in past things the DB size grew when I import field data from CSV file into contact records fields that replacing info like phone, address, ect (I use MergeAdmin by ASDS for field evel import) should not have grown.

ACT should offer selection types of histories to remove.

- Running Purge History on my big DB was not easy I had to run it 7 times each taking 6 hours working up until it went through about 8,000 contacts a time removing histories. Task Manager Performance ran at about 1.98 - 2.01GB RAM and after about 8K of contacts Windows error hit and kicked ACT out.

- Another problem with ACT Importing from old DB into new saved-as-empty copy DB is the Teams defined for the fields security level are not carried over into new DB which means I have to recreate and set for each field. Past memory I recall having to even recreate the remote Network Sync users stuff.

- AnswerID# 22050 import multi-user, # 14010, 15319 and others did not offer solution to Team only Custom layouts, templates, reprots, ect.. Frankly ID# 22050 is good to know but not worth the hard time, Sage need to fix issue and consider adding more to the Save Empty copy of DB because ACT! has required us to do it when things go bad.  Let alone and ACT Multi user multi remote DB sites.

ONLY suggestion restore backup copy delete all records than do the import from old into new copy of DB. Unless you can get the fix for the original problem soon?

- Comment to this export into empty new DB creates another problem.  Within the History TAB the records, Record Manager gets re-set to the ACT User name that performs the import as well as the CONTACTS Record Manager field so if you wanted to see who created the history record item its lost.

Please let me know when you have a fix so I can test it out.

JM

Copper Contributor

JM,

Didn't totally understand all you wrote but, coincidentally, today I can confirm that I have successfully got rid of the unwanted history attachments (remaining after the contacts were deleted) by going through the steps of ID #14010.  It was a horrendous process, slowed almost to a standstill by our virtual server environment.  To address your last point however, I can confirm that I DID retain all the original ownership of contacts and history records by following exactly the steps described - after creating the empty new database with a temporary username, you have to import ALL the users, turn them back into users in the new database, THEN delete the temporary user, THEN import all the contact, company groups, opportunity and history data.  I can also confirm, by searching the attachments subdirectory, that this did leave behind the unwanted attachments.

I do agree though - surely there must be simpler way to achieve this.....

Andy

JM
Nickel Contributor

Andy,

I replied to your message adding info for David L. at Sage to include my findings about deleted History Records in Contact records even after ACTDIAG did not shrink the ADF database (DB) file size. I hope you find the third party program Purge History that can also count the types of history records helpful offering more than what ACT can do since DB size will be an issue. I also bit the bullet and followed your lead to rebuild my DB shrinking it from 759MB to 459MB than recreated the remote DB's rather than wait on a fix from Sage.

Following ID 14010 did help preserve the Contact records- History Records "Record Manager name" and the Contact record's "Record Manager name" (I learned something from this ID). I still had to recreate my custom Teams (Tools, Manage Teams).

I think for a DB with fields having security levels ID 14010 needs some extra info.  It should show after you export the user contacts into new DB and add them to Manage Users make sure you removed the Temp User manager and do a rebuild DB before trying to export form source DB all records into new DB.  If I had known this I would not have gone through all my Contact Fields security setting changing Administrators Team from Read Only to Full Access, so I could export from source DB to destination new DB all the records. After all importing I noticed in Manager Users when I deleted the Temp User Manager my original Manager User who's security level was Full Access showed up as it should have with Full Access - Based On User Permission not Team Permission.

I'll copy this and create a new message about this to make sure Sage see this info.

JM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

JM,

Thank for the extra information - I guess we're suffering together on this one.  I'm just getting our system back together again and there is one more gotcha that I didn't spot:

When you create the empty database, if you have created a custom product list, it is NOT transferred.   As one of our users quickly spotted; create a new opportunity and click on the product drop-down - it is empty.  Thankfully, product names in existing opps are transferred fine.  This is all documented as yet another 'known issue' in ID#14635.  The solution is to go back to the original database and export the product list to a .csv file (<Contacts><Opportunities><Manage product Lists> ) and then import this file into your new database.

The very last thing I am still working is 'layouts'.  They don't transfer to the new database and I'm aware that a File Manager copy doesn't do the full business....  Any advice welcome.

Andy

Message Edited by gyroman on 03-24-2009 09:34 AM