Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact numbers with extensions sync'd to WM phone

Contact numbers with extensions sync'd to WM phone

ACT 2010 Premium combined with Windows Mobile phone.  Any contact numbers that have extensions come over to the WM phone in a way that when you try to dial that number, the phone thinks it's an international number.  The phone run WM 6.1.

What do I need to do to work around this problem?  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact numbers with extensions sync'd to WM phone

What are you using to sync to the phone?

I usually prefer Handheld Contact - there's a free edition that might be enough for you

Using ACT Link that is included with the product.  Not really looking to switch to an alternate product unless there is absolutely no way to have contact #'s with extensions properly go to the phone using the included sync tool.

I'm not sure how that handles extensions... I haven't used that link in a long time.
Copper Contributor

From the context you've provided, it sounds like you're talking about the international dialing prefix; not extensions.  Can you confirm?

CompanionLink has customizable Phone Format options, so that you can specify which dialing prefixes/country codes, etc. will appear in your phone. This will allow the user to resolve problems where Windows Mobile dials non-international numbers incorrectly.

On a side note, CompanionLink also lets you customize the telephone extension character that is used.  Based on this character that you set, CompanionLink will interpret the character as an extension delimiter.

I am talking about the extension, NOT the dialing prefix.

Ex:  A phone number is in act as 321-555-1234 with an extension of 223

This syncs over to the phone in a way that when you dial the number, the phone sees the number as 3215551234223. 

The phone is not recognizing there is an extension and just adding those digits to the number.

Copper Contributor

Do you use a consistent character to delimit your extensions?

CompanionLink allows you to specify an extension character, so that your phone numbers will be dialed correctly on the phone. For example, setting "x" as the extension character in CompanionLink would cause the phone to recognize the number as: 3215551234x223

As I said previously, I am using ACT Link, so I'm not sure why you keep mentioning CompanionLink

When you refer to a delimiting character for extensions, are you talking about actually typing something like "x223" in the extension field in ACT, as opposed to just "223" ?

Copper Contributor

I mention CompanionLink because you said in your second post on this thread that you're not interested in switching solutions "unless" there are no other options.  I don't believe ACT! Link will do what you're looking for, thus my mention of CompanionLink.

ACT! has a separate field for extension for the "Phone" field.  You would just enter "223" in ACT! extension field.  In the CompanionLink config wizard, you'd enter "x" as the extension character. CL will then sync the extension from ACT! to the phone as "x223".

Also, if you create a new contact or phone number on your phone, you can use the same delimiter ("x" in this case) and it will sync back to ACT! as an Extension.

Indeed... this is also how the free version of Handheld Contact does it. Except it only uses "x"", I don't think it gives a choice as this is the only char supported by the phone systems it links to.

Of course, the Professional version of HHC, being more like ACT!, gives you the proper extension field.