Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact field changes randomly

Highlighted

Re: Contact field changes randomly

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this issue?  It used to happen to me randomly,not it's happening constantly.  Major league frustration.  I can't trust the database anymore...

Any insight much appreciated.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Have you tried turning Off the video hardware acceleration?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

@Royel wrote:
Have you tried turning Off the video hardware acceleration?
I was having the same issue on two different computers.  About a month ago I turned off the video hardware acceleration on both and this has not occurred since then.  While I cannot say absolutely that it was the cause of the problem, it is certainly a correlation.  

So, can this problem be fixed with a patch or hotfix??   
Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

@davehenzel wrote:
I was having the same issue on two different computers.  About a month ago I turned off the video hardware acceleration on both and this has not occurred since then.  While I cannot say absolutely that it was the cause of the problem, it is certainly a correlation.  
So, can this problem be fixed with a patch or hotfix??   

I check some of you other posts and I see that you are running ACT! 2005. I did see reports of this problem with ACT! 2005 and 2006 but I'm not sure that I have seen it reported for ACT! 2007 or 2008. I believe that the problem was caused by the screen image being retained for some fields rather than updated with new information when moving from one contact to another and then an actual change to the new record would cause all the fields to be saved and bad information written tot eh database. By turning off hardware acceleration, a full screen rebuild was forced when moving to a new contact record. The true cause of the problem is hard to pin down and it could be a combination of things that caused the problem. The three main possibilities are the ACT! program itself, the video driver, and MSSQL. Because the problem is mainly associated with ACT! 2005 and 2006, MSSQL has to be considered a real possibility because ACT! 2007 and 2008 use a later version of MSSQL. This is not to excuse ACT! itself but because not everyone experienced the problem, I think it need to be a specific combination of hardware and software to cause the problem to occur. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com