Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact field changes randomly

Contact field changes randomly

Please help.

We are running Act Professional for Workgroups version 8.  A number of the users of our database are experiencing the same problem which I have been unable to resolve.   When the users are viewing a customers record and then move to another record (either by using a lookup or by using the arrow keys) Act will change the contact name of the next record so that it is the same name as the first record they looked at.  Act will continue to change the contact name on the next 5-6 records the user navigates to.  This only ever affects the contact field.

Some users experience this more when using certain layouts, other do not experience it at all regardless of the layout they are using. 

We have been encountering this problem for almost a year, initally the occurences of it were rare, however it is progressively getting worse and affecting more users.  Sage tech support have never heard of this problem and have advised that the data must be corrupt.  I have used Act8diag to no avail.

Any tips/assistance would be much appreciated.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Contact field changes randomly

I remember that being a complaint on ACT! 2005 and 2006 but not on the later version of the ACT! program. It seems to be tied to the video driver so the first thing is to make sure everyone has the latest version of the video driver for their system. Another workaround was to set the hardware acceleration to none on the problem systems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Super Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue (Act Prem 2005/v7). I was going to write about it, but wasn't sure the best way to describe the problem (thanks smcclive). Also, if I'm in a lookup of several contacts, when I advance through each one, the information is over written to each contact I click on. However, this affects a lot more than just the contact field. Information is overwritten on Company, Contact, Title, Main Phone, Address 1, Address 2, City, State, Zip. None of custom fields are affected. We track the history of many on most of these fields and in the History tab, and these changes are noted there.

How is it that the video driver would be the culprit? I recently upgraded my machine and it happens has happened on both.

Dear Roy,

Many thanks for the reply.  I have checked all the video drivers for the affected users and they do all have the latest version.  My understanding with the video driver issue was that it affected the refresh rate on act so you would not be viewing the latest version of the record if it had recently been changed, and that the actual data was not effected - just your view of it.

This is not the case here, the records are most definitely being changed and I have had to put tracking on the contact field to try and maintain some kind of control.  I have not tried the hardware acceleration, so will give this a go - many thanks for the help

Any more light anyone can throw on this problem would be greatly appreicated!

Nickel Elite Contributor

FYI - turning off the video hardware acceleration forces the video to rebuild the entire screen with each change rather than only part of the screen. That is why it worked most of the time for your problem.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Super Contributor

Royel wrote:
Another workaround was to set the hardware acceleration to none on the problem systems.

I checked and hardware acceleration on my machine was set to Full. I changed it to none. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what causes the overwriting to happen, so it's very difficult to test to see if this change works. Since it only happens a few times a month, it may take a month or more for me to "not notice" it.

Thanks for the suggestion and we'll see if it works for me. Good luck with your issue, smcclive.
Platinum Elite Contributor

smcclive wrote:
Please help.

Some users experience this more when using certain layouts, other do not experience it at all regardless of the layout they are using. 

Are the users using the same database and layouts?
Are they all using the same build of ACT! (check Help | about)?
Are you using any add-ons for ACT!? I've seen this with some add-ons.
Is there anything obvious that different between the machines for the users with the problem and the ones that are ok?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.  In answer to your questions, all users are using the same build, the same database, and the same layouts.  There is no obvious difference between the machines that are affected and there are no add-ons. 

The problem is getting worse now, I tried the hardware acceleration tip for one user and it prevented him from adding any new contacts.  It would just create a duplicate contact.  I do not know if this is related to the problem relating to contact names or a completely new problem!

Anything that can throw some light on this would be very much appreciated.
Nickel Elite Contributor

That sounds very much like a damaged install of ACT! or interference from a virus or some kind of spyware.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

It sounds like you really need to get someone in to have a look at the systems for you.... I'd recommend someone from the list at www.act.com/acc