Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Import -- how to make email field blank

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Contact Import -- how to make email field blank

I am having trouble running a contact import in our ACT Premium 2009 version.  A few hundred contact records have email addresses without the "@" symbol or include text like "Invalid Email Address."  My goal is to update the email field to blank where improper email addresses have been included. 

When I run the contact import with the following Merge Options no email fields are updated:

If source records match destination records – Drop-down set to “Replace with Newest Contact

If source records do not match destination records – Drop-down set to “Add

Is it possible to overwrite contact data with blank fields on an import? Or do I need to do these manually, one-by-one?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mgmcevoy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Contact Import -- how to make email field blank

You have two options.

1. Clean up the data prior to import, to remove those with the @ or have "invalid email address" - this could be done is Excel using simple search and replace...

or.

2. Import the data you have into ACT and then do a lookup on the email field for email addresses that do not contain "@". Then use the Edit -> Replace to change all of these contacts (in one go) to have an email field that is empty.

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author mgmcevoy
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

You have two options.

1. Clean up the data prior to import, to remove those with the @ or have "invalid email address" - this could be done is Excel using simple search and replace...

or.

2. Import the data you have into ACT and then do a lookup on the email field for email addresses that do not contain "@". Then use the Edit -> Replace to change all of these contacts (in one go) to have an email field that is empty.

Trevor Lever

UK - ACT Certified Consultant
www.actpartners.co.uk
trevor@actpartners.co.uk
Tuned Listener

Thank you. Running a lookup on emails that do not contain "@" and then replacing the field with "" did the trick.