Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Field Name Default

Contact Field Name Default

When I import or enter a new contact with only first name information, the contact field defaults to last name.  For example, if I only have "Bob" as a contact person for a company, when I enter his name ACT automatically assumes this to be the last name instead of the first name.  I know that I can click the button next to the contact field and select the appropriate name from the drop down menus.  The problem is that I have over 1000 contacts imported, most of which are just first names.  Is there any way to change the default behaviour for this field? Is there any way to do a global change?

Thanks

[I even exported all the records, changed the table, and re-imported.  Even though I had "Bob" in the first name column it still set it to last name once imported.]

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Field Name Default

Yes.  I remove all other fields except first, last, company, and zip.  Then I have it "check for duplicates" by company, phone, and then zip.  I have tried "replace with source content" and "replace with newest content". "Merge" doesn't actually change anything. 

The situation also occurs if I am adding a new contact.  If I just enter one name ACT assumes it is a last name.  I don't really understand this.

Is there anyway for me to edit the tables directly? Can I link to the tables through Access and then manipulate the data? This program is becomeing very cumbersome.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

jennrose wrote:

Yes.  I remove all other fields except first, last, company, and zip.  Then I have it "check for duplicates" by company, phone, and then zip.  I have tried "replace with source content" and "replace with newest content". "Merge" doesn't actually change anything. 

I hope what you posted is a typo... you say you check for dupes on "Phone", but you didn't list that as one of the fields

Merge will only fill blank fields. To update fields, you need a third party tool like itImport

So, you are importing to First and Last as seperate fileds, not combined as Contact? Hmm then it seems like a bug

The situation also occurs if I am adding a new contact.  If I just enter one name ACT assumes it is a last name.  I don't really understand this.

Yes, that bugs me also. I wish it could be set or that it would pop-up to ask like when entering more then 2 names.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Is there anyway for me to edit the tables directly? Can I link to the tables through Access and then manipulate the data? This program is becomeing very cumbersome.

Only by using the SDK and programming in .Net can you write to the database. You might download the trial or itImport and see if that helps?

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?