Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Detail View in XP gives error message

Contact Detail View in XP gives error message

I am using Act Premium 2012 on Windows XP Pro SP3 and whenever I go to the Detail View for Contacts I get an error message that says "Act! has encountered an error. Please shutdown the application." It comes up every single time I view details for a contact.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Contact Detail View in XP gives error message

I see that you posted about an issue with the account tab being present intermittently, so this issue has just cropped up.  

Do you have multiple users of this database?  If yes, do they have the same issue?

The first thing is that this may be a resource issue - have you rebooted the computer, then attempted to access Detail view? 

Next: Does the same thing happen when you open the demo database?

If it works in the Demo, it could be that the layout is corrupted or there is an issue with the accounting link. 

Are you using a customized layout?  If yes, try browsing to your 'databasename-database files\layouts' folder and rename the layout (*.cly file - add '.old' to the end), then launch ACT! (if will default to an available layout file in the folder).

If you are using one of the default layouts, you can try replacing the layout file with a copy from the Demo database.  If you have customized the default layout, rename it first - then copy the layout from the demo into the Layout folder, in case this doesn't resolve the issue. 

If removing/replacing the layout doesn't resolve it - uninstall the accounting link program and test.  The idea here is that the detail view is attempting to access accounting information and is being blocked.

Greg Martin
Sage

Right now I am the only user of the database (both for Act and Simply Accounting). I am trying to get things working before we move on to upgrading everyone from 2009.

I have rebooted several times and had the same issue arise. The same thing happens in the demo database. I am using a custom layout, but disabling it did not fix the problem. I have uninstalled the link. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Act.

When I was talking to a tech at Act yesterday I was simply told it was a known issue on Windows XP with Act 2012. Honestly I really find that a hard answer to accept just because of the price of both Act and the tech support that will have to be paid if we were to go ahead with the upgrade. I'm starting to think Act is being pushed out annually like an EA Sports game and Sage isn't properly testing it because, well, their business model prospers when the products only work at 80%.

Platinum Super Contributor

Certainly if there were a compatibility issue with XP that wouldn't allow you to access the Contact Detail screen, it would be an urgent priority issue... I'm not aware of any such issue - and you were able to access the Detail screen before.

Use section "Alternate Method: Manually Delete Preferences" of the following article to delete the ACT! preference files, then open the database and attempt to access Contact Detail view: KB Article 14770

If this does not resolve the issue, check for error messages in the Windows Event Viewer.  Do you recall installing any Microsoft updates between the time that it worked and didn't work?

Additional test: Create a new database and attempt to access Detail view.  Successful or not?

Greg Martin
Sage