03-16-2011 03:48 PM
This started about three weeks ago on our server
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: MSSQL$ACT7
Event Category: (4)
Event ID: 18456
User: "Our Domain"\administrator
Description: Login failed for user '"Our Domain"\Administrator'.
They occur on average about 1 per minute. I have tried various steps to correct this without any luck. I suspect some SQL update may have started this. It's on an SBS2003R2 machine with SQL 2005, Act 2009 Premium.
Short of backing up, blowing out the SQL instance, starting over and waiting to see if this happens again I was hoping someone could offer a more constructive approach to solving this.
By the way, I have connected to the instance in single user mode using SQL Management Studio and given the administrator additional rights, but it didn't help. I have turned off other computers in the office to see if the error was coming from somewhere else, no luck. I've also tried switching off the network sync services which made no difference.
04-05-2011 07:05 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Assuming you are still having the issue, here is something you can try:
- On the server, browse to the ACT! program directory at C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows
- Locate the file SecurityCmdLnApp.exe and double-click to execute. Stop then restart the SQL Server (ACT7) service
If that fails or you receive an error, then try the steps in KB Article 25737. If the steps in the article fail, then you may need to uninstall and then manually recreate the ACT7 instance of SQL. See KB Article 23401 for removal and either KB Article 19386 (SQL Express)or KB Article 19231 (SQL Standard) for instructions on how to recreate the ACT7 instance.
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.
05-15-2011 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think it was the SQL 2005 SP4 update that caused the problems in the first place.
Unfortunately in the end it was a full uninstall / re-install. Thanks very much for directing me to the documents for manually removing the SQL instance. It was quite helpfull.
I recreated a new instance, did the SP4 update, then reinstalled Act. It's all working fine now.