Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connection window on start-up - A DISGRACE

Copper Contributor

Connection window on start-up - A DISGRACE

i posted a separate note on windows opening at startup that was not needed - e.g., Report, Search etc. I tend to only want Contact List, Contact and a couple more.

Tech support just renamed the preference files and now whatever windows I have open - those will appear when I next open Act.

However, the Connections windows open whether you like it or not - and it is just a advertisement for Sage to sell you more stuff like E-Martketing for Act, Act Connect and so on.

IT A DISGRACE AND POOR TASTE BY SAGE to force advertising on a user when I paid over $300 for the upgrade version of Premium 2012.

WHAT A CROCK!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Connection window on start-up - A DISGRACE

[ Edited ]

Hello acters,
The Connections window is not designed to be an advertisement - it is a intended to be a unified screen for all Sage ACT! integration options. The program is not designed to show the Connections screen every time you open your database. Is this what you are seeing - the Connections screen as your startup screen no matter what preference you choose?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Yes, every time I open the database - the Connections window opens up and  i have to manually close it.

I called tech support 3 times and every time they said that is the way it is.

If there a way of stopping this window from coming up each time, please let me know.

Copper Contributor

Greg --

You asked the question whether I get the Connection each time I open Act - I said yes. You said this is not what is meant to happening. I asked you tell me how to stop it.

Your technical support has been far less than helpful on this issue.

If you have an answer - please tell me.

Thanks

Is this what you are seeing when you open ACT!? If so, does it have the two radio button options at the bottom or are those missing?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Or is this the window you are seeing:

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

This is what I am seeing and there are no radio buttons at the bottom. "Our most popular service" in red is now coming up next to Sage E-makreting for ACT - which wasnt there before today.

Untitled picture.png

OK. If you click the arrows at the bottom of the Navbar, go to Add or Remove Buttons, and click Connections it should go away. However, if you close/open ACT!, is the Connections option reappearing on the NavBar? I believe that screen will come up when you first install the program, but is not a choice for a startup screen in Preferences.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Sounds like the same problem I had after upgrading to ACT Premium 2012.  No matter what I did, ACT opened to the Connections page.  I had to rebuild my Preferences file.  I had some problems rebuilding the file, but got it to work by doing the following: 

1. Close ACT.
  2. Open Task Manager
  3. End Process on all ACT processes
  4. In Explorer windown type %appdata%
  5. Open ACT folder
  6. Open ACT data folder
  7. Rename the following by appending OLD to the end

- Preferences (folders)

- preferencesBAK.xml

- preferencesBAK3.xml

- preferencesBAK6.xml

- preferencesBAK9.xml

ACT then opened with the page specified in my Preferences. 

Hang in there...Good luck. 

Jillian

Copper Contributor

The arrow at the bottom ONLY affects whether a button appears or not -- there are NO options in Preferences to stop this window from coming up each time.

As for rebuilding preferences - it was rebuilt in a similar fashion to Jillian suggestion by a tech support person but for a different reason.

The other thing >>> Act is meant to save ALL window format on exiting and reopening. I find at least 1 of my window sizes are not being retained and I have resize each time.