Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connecting SQL Server and IIS7 Server

Connecting SQL Server and IIS7 Server

I have a Win2k8R2/SQL2k8R2 server that is hosting ACT! Premium 2011.  It is setup and running with the Windows client and connects to SQL just fine.

I have a Win2k8R2/IIS7 server that has ACT! Premium 2011 for Web installed and I want it to point to the SQL server for the database hosting. 

Is there any documentation and/or KB articles on how to connect the two servers either through the program or config files?  Page 3 of the Web Administrator's Guide talks about the planning for it, as does page 5 (Multiple Server Configurations), but past that, there is no other information about how to point the IIS server to the SQL server with specific steps.

Re: Connecting SQL Server and IIS7 Server

Nathan,

I have the exact same question.  I even entered an email support case and no reply.  Have you ever gotten an answer?

Also look at knowledge base answer id 21838.  It would seem to indicate that the web install has to be on the database server anyway to perform "Internet Synchronization".  Any feedback regarding your experience is appreciated.

Randall

Actually this is the link with the mention about internet synchronization requiring the database server to run iis.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14114/~/overview-of-remote-database-synchro... 

Randall

I did get a solution, although even after knowing it, it's not described well in the documentation.  

You need to make a share on your SQL server where your .pad files are.  From your IIS box, mount the share as a drive for easy access.  Then just open the .pad files from that network drive from ACT on your IIS box and it will open the database.  The .pad file is pretty much just a SQL connection string that your IIS server uses to connect to SQL.

Then you can setup the web sites from the IIS box and move forward.  Also, another tip b/c you will run into this with Win2k8R2, when you are trying to setup the websites and (if) your web site administration won't let you get passed the Impersonation tab because it "can't authenticate", hold Control and click on the next tab and you can bypass that tab.  I had everything setup with my impersonation account and simply couldn't get passed the tab even though it was all working correctly and while on the phone with ACT support, saw him do it and asked how to by-pass it.  You will have to do this everytime that you admin the websites.  

Hope this helps!!!!

-Nathan

Thanks for the reply Nathan.  Did you notice the link to the kb article? Do you use the Internet Synchronization? if do do you also end up having to place IIS on the database server?  (which defeats the purpose of having two servers in my opinion.)

Randall

Finally I found a document that provides a giant leap to understanding how ACT is supposed to work.

http://www.act.com/Support-and-Training/~/media/Category/CRM/ACT/Assets/Documents/wp/Synchronization... 

No thanks to technical support that could not seem to locate this document.

Enjoy!

I haven't used Internet or Network sync although we are moving towards that.  I don't think you need IIS on your database server b/c the sync should go through a port on your IIS server that then connects to the SQL through the site.  The sync will install another site under your main website under port 65110 (close guess) so then it connects there and then I assume it then reads and syncs to the database however it does its magic normally.

I was speculating this was the case and thanks for the additional direction.  If I send you an invite on linked in will you accept? I have to show you as a colleague in order to get it through.  We may be able to collaborate and assist each other.

Not a problem.  I'm coming up on around a year of working in ACT so if I can help someone out and have them not have to go through ACT's tech support, then I have done my good deed for the day.