Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Confused: Household vs. Relate Contacts

Copper Contributor

Confused: Household vs. Relate Contacts

I'm a little confused as to what the best/proper way is to relate contacts with one another.  For example, I'm an advisor who will typically have both husband/wife as clients.  Sometimes I speak to the husband, and other times to the wife.  I document notes that I link to the contact based on who I have spoken with.  When doing face to face meetings, I link the meeting to both contact records.

Should I be going through the work of creating a household for these two people or use the relationships tab to mark this relationship?  Also, I would like the ability to print a consolidated report of all the notes/history I've had with these related contacts rather than having to print off two separate reports where you may have duplicated entries since both contact records were linked to the activity/note.

The issue I'm finding with households is that it forces me to enter a lot of the same information ie: Address.  In addition, I noticed that the default selection in the Groups/Households/Companies is "Show For Groups and Subgroups" which forces me to do a few extra clicks to view "Companies and Divisions" where households are listed.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Confused: Household vs. Relate Contacts

Hi

I use the relate tab, i find the groups tab to be a bit difficult to operate for just 2 or 3 clients, plus the relate tab can specify the type of relationship etc

Also if you utilsie the same email it will automatically link to both records

So i just find it easier to use it that way, also think long term if the clients seperate (and does not have to be husband and wife could be business partners etc) then you dont have the problem of splitting the data held in the household record

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Copper Contributor

I thought of doing exactly what you're proposing.  The thing that has stopped me from doing this is that the household report eliminates duplicate entries.  I like to print out a history report for my clients before meeting with them as a way to review previous notes etc.  If I link them using the Relationship tab instead, when I go to print the contact report for both, I get duplicate entries on each report for activities/notes that were linked to both contact records.  

Not sure what the best solution here is.  Perhaps I enter all the activity under the primary contact person's record?  I dunno... Hmm.

Copper Super Contributor

True

Guess it is a preference issue for my industry here its very much one client focused

Bronze Contributor

The household account under Companies Es is what a lot of my financial clients use for exactly the reason you specified. They want the ability to see all the info in a common area which you cannot do with the related tab.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Pats answer is correct.

Use the Company table and link your 2 contacts to it. Now any notes etc on ether contact will also show on the equivalent tab on the Company table.

Copper Super Contributor

Only if its relevant my industry is based on individual compliance regardless of husband or wife or business partners

Bronze Elite Contributor

Pat and my answer was based on the question asked by the person at the start of this forum question. It may be different for other peoples needs.

Copper Contributor

Thanks everyone for the input.  I've gone ahead with using "Households" to have the roll-up feature.  Can anyone clarify on how linked fields work between contact records and the household and where in Act I can adjust which fields are linked? I couldn't find the setting anywhere.

Also, if several fields are linked but a change only occurs on one field, do all linked fields get copied over or just the one that changed?  I'm assuming those changes would take effect for all contacts in the household?

Thanks

Copper Contributor

P.S - Is there a way to make it so that when I'm creating a contact, it also creates the household and copies the contact's address fields to the household automatically at the time of creation of the household? Double entry time is a bit of a pain as I do have address information again at the household level.

Thanks