Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Confused By Network Setup of Act 2008

Confused By Network Setup of Act 2008

We just purchased a 10 user license so that users in our organization can share info with each other. So, I set up what I will refer to, as an ACT Server. This will contain a master database that our users will "sync" with. I'm having trouble grasping how all this works.

Like I said, I set up our Act Server and called the database CompanyMaster. I set up Act for myself and created a database called CompanyRay. I'm assuming that the next step is to create a "sync set" to tell it what what contact info out of CompanyRay to "sync" with the master database. I created the sync set, but now I'm lost. I really don't know what to do next and I'm confused by the instructions in the manual.

Does the Act Server have to have a remote database set up for each user accessing it? Do I have to unpack each users' database and somehow restore it onto the server? I have to believe that somewhere on my PC, I need to tell it about where the server is (IP Address) or what its name is? Is that correct? Can someone help guide me in the right direction?

How do I get CompanyRay to copy the contacts defined in the Sync Set with the CompanyMaster database on the Server.

Thanks for your patience.

Ray
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Confused By Network Setup of Act 2008

[ Edited ]
Hi ray
Create the sync set in your Master ACT db on the server, Then create a remote database on the master using the sync set. This will create a(remote databse) RDB file. Move this RDB file to your computer... Then go to file Restore> unpack Remote Database, follow the steps. and once you have the RDB restored you will need to verify your sync settings in the Sync Panel. and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

Message Edited by melissacarter on 01-28-2008 03:52 PM
Jeremy Wesley
MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD, ACC, APT, A++
www.act.expert
Have you seen eXact Contacts? iPhone & iPad App that syncs directly with your Act! Database.

Just to clarify - You set up a Master DB on the ACT server, now you want to create remote databases to sync? correct? If this is so, all this should be done from the server. What type of sync will you be using, network or remote?

Here's what I do:

1. Using the ACT! install disk, install the Network sync service
2. Once install is completed, open ACT! master DB on server and go to Tools> Synchronization Panel
3. Make sure Sync is enabled, if not, click Enable Sync
4. Create your sync sets. I always create a separate sync set for each remote database, just to be safe. I name the sync set after the user.
5. When sync sets are done, back at the Sync Home, click Create Remote Database
6. Create a separate remote database for each sync user. Give each remote db the sync set you created for each user. Name the remote DB after each user. Make sure each db has the user AND an admin as users.
7. In the Connection screen, make sure the ACT server is named. you can use another port, but make sure you understand what that entails before changing.
8. Click next until it creates the remote DB, i like to make a folder specifically for ACT! remote DBs. Repeat for each remote db.
9. once all remote DBs are created, move them to the laptop/ machine the user has ACT installed on
10. open the users ACT! go to File> restore and choose unpack and restore remote DB

NOW, go back to your server and open the ACT! network sync service
Click Add and navigate to your .pad file for the master DB
Chanage the port ONLY if you changed it in the remote db setup.
Click Start Sync Service.

If everything worked, open one for the remote DBs and click Tools>Synchronize>Synchronize Now. You should watch the sync run successfully. It should complete with a Synchronozation Successful message.

Gotchas:
make sure your windows firewall will allow will allow sync through the designated port.
Make sure your router firewall will allow sync through the designated port.

Finally:
If everything is working (and wou should test all remote dbs), in your tak tray is the icon for the sync service. Open the sync service and choose Exit. You will get a message that this will stop the sync service. Thats fine. from the start menu, choose Run and type Services.msc
Look foir the Network Synchronization service and double click it. Under Startup type, amke sure it is Automatic. Click Start service under Service Status and then click OK
Now go to Start>run and type regedit
When the registry editor open, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run
Locate the ACT! Network Sync Service key on the right and delete it.
Now your machine will autmatically run syncs even if no one is logged in.

Seems like a lot, its really simple. Let me know how it goes.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hi ray,

Your question doesn't make this clear:

Are the users who want access to ACT! all on your LAN? If so, then look at this from the ACT! Knowledge Base

Only if you have users who are remote (other offices or laptop users) will you need to worry about sync

In response to the last comment, yes, all of our users are on our LAN. However, there are a few of them who travel and want to be able to either access the main database, or, take notes an save it to their local database and sync it to the main database. So, it almost seems to me, that we share the database among our LAN Users and use the Web Based ACT for the users that will be travelling (if they can access the shared database directly).

Any thoughts?

Use the LAN for the users/machines that are in the office and you could use Sync or Web for the remote users.

Sync puts a copy on their laptop so they don't need the internet to access their data
Web can be easier to maintain if you have a web server to run it from

I do recommend you consult with a local ACT! Certified Consultant ... they can help you find the best solution for you and avoid common errors. You can find a list of ACCs from www.act.com/acc

I ran through the steps that one other user posted about running the Sync Service. I created a remote db from the master, went to the remote user pc and unpacked and restored it. I went back to the server, started the Sync Service...."synchronize now" is greyed out. Do I need to start the sync service on the remote PC as well?

You don't sync from the server.

On the server you either enable Accept Incomming Sync or set up Network Sync Service

You then start the sync from the remote.

This is a good article to look at in the ACT! Knowledge Base

Okay...I think I finally get it. I do have one last question though. When I initially set up my client PC, I called the database CompanyRay and had it automatically import my Outlook Clients. I then unpacked the remote db on it and opened it up to allow for Sync-ing. I opened up the remote db (called MasterRay) on my client PC and was able to sync successfully. So, do I maintain two databases on my client PC? One for my local contacts and one for the remote sync...or do I just make the remote db the default db and re-import my Outlook Contacts in it so that I can then synch with the Act Server?

Either re-import the Outlook contacts to your remote database or merge the database you were using (with the Outlook contacts) back into the remote database.