Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Config Error after Modifying IIS

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Config Error after Modifying IIS

Background (If you like reading stories): We've installed ACT! Premium for Web 2010 on a Windows 2003 Server about a year ago and other than installing it I've tried to never touch it from the IT side.  We are a small company and for the longest time only 1-2 people used it.  Now we have 4-5 people accessing it throughout the day via the web interface.  I've been getting complaints that they cannot get onto act throughout the day and it seems that the act process stops/sleeps/??? and it just takes some time for it to get started again.  So, instead of handling these calls twice a day now I decided I would increase the timeout before act went to sleep.  This leads me into the...

Issue:  When I try to log into act from the remote server I get the following error (Line 4 is highlighted):

Server Error in '/APFW' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error 
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'type'.

Source Error: 

Line 2:  <configuration>
Line 3:    <configSections>
Line 4:      <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">
Line 5:        <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35">
Line 6:          <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />

Source File: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\web.config    Line: 4

I know what I did on the server, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I opened IIS Manager 6.0 -> Default Website -> Properties  (This is the only application on the server).  I clicked on the "Home Directory" Tab, and then configuration in the "Application Settings" section. Next, I clicked on "Options" and changed the Session Timeout to 60 minutes (Up from 20).

When I clicked "OK" I got a message asking if I wanted to have this change affect all the child nodes as well.  The Nodes were: APFWValidationSrvc, APFW, APFWMailMergeSrvc, APFWOutlookSrvc.  I selected all and clicked yes.  The next time someone tried to log onto act the errors started happening.

If anyone can help me with this issue without reinstalling ACT! I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Ernie

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author EJustice
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Config Error after Modifying IIS

Yes, APFW will need to be set to use ASP.NET 2.0.
Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

I was reading any documentation that I could find on this subject and in the Admin Manual I read something about ASP 2.0 needed to be enabled.  It was enabled, but when I was looking at my ASP.net properties for APFW it showed it was using version 1.1.4.  Should the setting for APFW be 2.0?

Solution
Accepted by topic author EJustice
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Yes, APFW will need to be set to use ASP.NET 2.0.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks!  Figured that out last night, forgot to come back in and post.

I knew it wasn't an ACT problem because I could access it fine via the desktop program on the server.  What confused me was that the Default Website had to be set at ASP.net 2.0 as well, not just the APFW portion of it.

Copper Contributor

I'm not sure if this is a related issue and if so, I'm posting it here because this thread may well be out of date with the new release (2013).

The error I've gotten is:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'requestValidationMode'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 70:   <connectionStrings />
Line 71:   <system.web>
Line 72: <httpRuntime executionTimeout="1200" maxRequestLength="102400" requestValidationMode="2.0" />
Line 73:     <identity impersonate="true" userName="registry:HKLM\Software\AspNetProcess\ASPNET_SETREG,userName" password="registry:HKLM\Software\AspNetProcess\ASPNET_SETREG,password" />
Line 74:     <pages enableViewState="true" enableSessionState="true" theme="ACT" autoEventWireup="false" validateRequest="false" enableEventValidation="false" controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="3.5" clientIDMode="AutoID">

Source File: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web\APFW\web.config    Line: 72

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3634; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3634 

.... and although I'm using v2.0 of the ASP.NET, ACT! 2013 prompted for the installation of the required component of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full .... but before making the change on my entire system and potentially causing problems with other sites hosted on this server, I just thought I'd ask the question before making the change from 2.0 to 4.0 in the ASP.NET tab.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello tjfitzgerald,
.NET 4.0 is required for the installation of ACT! 2013.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

i have an error similar, this is my error 

error act .jpg

i need help please 

Hello Milestone,
Your error sounds like a permissions issue when trying to access a registry key. On the web server, make sure that full permissions have been granted to the impersonation account being used for ACT! for Web for the named registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\\AspNetProcess\ASPNET_SETREG

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

thanks

Could you tell me how I can verify the permissions step by step, because I am not an expert on the subject

thanks for your help

See the instructions in section titled "Setting Read Permissions for the ASP.NET Registry Key" in this Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1651...

The only change would be to select "Full Control" instead of just Read. The Impersonation user would be the user account used under the second tab in the Web Site Administration tool (under the tools menu). Remember, this must be done on the web server by an administrator for that server.

Greig Hollister