Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company field now linked to wrong field

Copper Contributor

Company field now linked to wrong field

[ Edited ]

Hi all, I'm wondering if you can help me correct a silly mistake I've made (I'm sure it won't be the last!)

Somehow I have linked the Company field on the company layout to the 'Forename' field on the contact layout.

Looking at the 2 fields, the 'Link to company field' option on both are disabled.

How can I add it back so that the Company field links and it appears with the 'quick find' button [...] on the layout?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Company field now linked to wrong field

The two fields are disabled, but they still reference a link to the correct field - correct?  Meaning Company (in the company field defs) is still linked to Company (in the contact field), it's just the layout where you're having issues?

If so, go into the layout designer, and double click the field and choose the correct field, or just delete the layout field and re-add it.

Hope I understood correctly...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Hi Richard, thanks for replying.

I didn't quite explain it that well.  In the Company list of fields the 'Company' field is linked to the field 'Forename' from the Contact fields.

If we look at either field in 'Define Fields' the links are both disabled (Company is linked to Forename and Forename is linked to Company)

Does that make sense?

Nickel Elite Contributor

That's what I thought at first, but then when I went to the fields list, I could not "uncheck" the link box - how did you get it to switch in the first place? (note: I can see the check box, which is checked, but it's greyed out like you said)

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Good question.....I don't know!

I have been doing a LOT of field and layout design but I can not remember ever touching that field as there was no need to change it.
Copper Contributor

Hi all......does anyone else have any idea's about this?

Many thanks,
John.
Nickel Super Contributor

Maybe you need to change the contact field name forename back to company????

In define fields there isn't a field forename/firstname.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT