Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company field in Contact Form

Tuned Listener

Re: Company field in Contact Form

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but it seems logical to me that because the company view has tabs for documents, opportunities, etc., it makes sense to link all contacts to a particular company.  If they aren't linked, the company view shows incomplete information and is unreliable.  This is a data integrity issue. 

Because of the structure of the data, a user can enter a new contact and choose not to link but just type in a name of a company.  This would make the contact unlinked to a company, correct?  This is another data integrity issue. 

I understand that I can't force the data integrity because of the limitations of the product, but how can I check contacts for unlinked companies?

Platinum Elite Contributor

You can create rules to automatically attach contacts to company records based on a file (eg company name).

They won't be linked (so updating fields in the Company won't update the Contacts), but it will make the lookups you want work
Tuned Listener

Thanks for your reply Mike.  How would I set up a rule to handle this?  Would this be a trigger on field exit? 

Is there any way to build a report that shows unlinked contacts? 
Platinum Elite Contributor

sunnydd wrote:
Thanks for your reply Mike.  How would I set up a rule to handle this?  Would this be a trigger on field exit? 
Have a look about half way down this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4ojc8t
Is there any way to build a report that shows unlinked contacts? 

I don't think so, but there are some add-ons that do it, I think