Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company field in Contact Form

Tuned Listener

Company field in Contact Form

Hello everyone:

I would like to make the company field in the contact screen be a dropdown list containing the names of companies in the company list.  Is this possible?  I searched in help and couldn't find the company in the list of dropdown fields.

Thanks.
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Re: Company field in Contact Form

No, it is not possible out of the box...

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Tuned Listener

Thanks.  Is this something I would able to accomplish using the SDK?
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Probably... But why don't you use the button next to the company field? It is the better way to populating the company list from the contact view...

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Tuned Listener

Mostly because we don't want the users to be able to type anything in the Company field.   We want to make sure that a company record exists for every contact.  Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually, the drop-down wouldn't work.

You can have unlimited Company records and building this list with havery screen change would be a HUGE drain on resources.

It may still be a possible feature to prevent typing in the field and force the use of the link button, but I doubt enough users would want it to make Sage do it.

If it's really important, I can only suggest getting an addon developer to see if they can tweak something to do this
Copper Elite Contributor

It would certainly be possible with an SDK addon, in the form of a custom layout object, but it really would be a drain on resources, at least once you got over ~1000 companies. I really think just training into your users that they link a contact when they create it would be a lot better, it's easy enough to track all newly created contacts and see by Record Creator who didn't bother to fill the field out..
Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Tuned Listener

Thank you.  It might have been worth exploring, until you mentioned the "drain",  so we will just have to proceduralize the process and check with various reports.

Thanks again.

I haven't tested this, but if the Company field was covered over in the layout (but still leaving the button on the left) and making it required... this might be a solution that would give a similar result.

Or even a field entry trigger on the company field that, if the field is empty, automaticlly pushes the button?