Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Companies, Divisions, Contacts, and linked fields

Copper Contributor

Companies, Divisions, Contacts, and linked fields

OK, I have a database that looks something like this...Parent Company...division (sometimes hundreds)....linked contacts (usually to division) with some standard and some linked fields.  Ideally, I'd like to change a field on the parent and have it replicate down thru the subsidiary divisions and into the linked contacts.  Any way to do this?

I tried using a query to identify all of the divisions and then doing a Replace Field on the company lookup....this changes all of the company fields but never changes the linked contact field.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Companies, Divisions, Contacts, and linked fields

Your contacts to a company/division are linked based on the definitions in the "define fields" "link to company field" options. So you may be able to make the process of updating contcts more efficient for the company/division the are attached to by adding linked fields.

There is no such linking between companies and divisions.

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

Yes, that is what I did.  I added a new field in both the company and contact records and linked them.  Let's say, for example, that I'm using the field to designate the assigned salesperson for an account.  The salesperson is assigned based on geography (ideally of the parent, but we'll get back to that) of the company, and all contacts should then be flagged with the same salesperson.  If the salesperson changes for 100s of companies, I need to query for all of the compaies, change the field, and have ACT also change all of the contacts linked to these companies (with linked fields).  As it stands now, the change to the company fields works, but ACT doesn't then update the linked contacts based on the linked field changing.
Copper Contributor

Bump....anyone know a way to change a field in multiple companies and have ACT also update the linked fields in the linked contacts?
Copper Super Contributor

Contact updates are done as company is updated, company's are edited one at a time. So I don't think this can be done natively in ACT. 
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
This seems to be a flaw within ACT....I can used Query to create a company lookup with multiple companies....then Swap/Copy/Replace Field which then changes the entire lookup list but doesn't change the linked contacts (if the field being changed is a linked field).
Message Edited by craigf on 10-30-2008 08:42 AM