Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Combine individual's databases to form one "main" database on server

Combine individual's databases to form one "main" database on server

Hey All,

I am new to ACT! and am trying to merge 6 users of ACT! 2010 Premium databases into one main database on the server.  How can I merge each individual's databases into the new database?  Do I need to back them up to the server drive and restore them on the server computer?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Combine individual's databases to form one "main" database on server

The first step will be to get all of the databases located physically on the server, this can be done using the Backup and Restore functions within Act. 

Two important points before beginning the import/export from one database to another:

- are there any custom fields in any of the databases?

- have the usernames in the restored database been added to the 'main' database?

You will need to have the main database updated with any custom fields and the user names from the other databases so that the information can be mapped and given a Record Manager appropriately.

Review these 2 documents for further information about setting up and preparing for your imports:

How to Export Data From One ACT! Database To Another

Best Practices for Import and Exporting Data from One ACT! Database to Another ACT! Database

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: Combine individual's databases to form one "main" database on server

I tried to export each user's database into the shared database.  After I choose the file directory, I click next and it after a short delay an error message pops up that reads "Error in the Application". 

For the one main database on the server, do I need a seperate license to operate?