Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Client Application with Web Server

Client Application with Web Server

I have a server dedicated to ACT  2011 Web Edition.   It's inside our company network.  I can't figure out how/what I'm supposed to install on a workstation to allow the actual client application to hit the database on the web server.

I've checked 'share' in the Tools on the Webserver (I can open the client application from that machine)... I've opened the client on the application and tried to open the .pad and database files, but just get the message that the data can't be opened...

Any ideas?  Am I supposed to install the ACT for Web on the workstation, or just the normal act version on the workstation.

Thanks,

James

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Client Application with Web Server

[ Edited ]

Hello James,
For users accessing the database only through web, then nothing needs to be installed - they would just access a website. For users who want to access the application through the network, they would need to install "normal" ACT!. The web version only gets installed on the web server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Well, I still can't seem to open the database that exists on the WebServer with the ACT Premium client on a desktop in the same network.  If I try to open the .pad file from the shared database directory off the web server, the Client can't connect.  If I try to open the .adf off the shared data folder on the Web Server, I get a message that the file is busy or in use.

The firewalls are open.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

James

Platinum Elite Contributor

When you say "the client can't connect", is there a specific error message? Also, the .ADF file can only be opened directly on the local machine, not through a network. Non-local access is only through the database .PAD file.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I open the PAD file that I copied to his local database directory.

When I try to open that .pad file, the message is:

"The database apg2012 could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server"

I've double checked that on the Server machine, the database is 'shared' (in addition to being available on the web).

James

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm lost because I see nothing in any of the documentation relating to this.

Thanks,

James

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with multiple steps for troubleshooting/resolving this issue: KB Article 19640

Generally, the most common culprits are the "Firewall or Anti-virus software is blocking" and "There is a problem on the client machine resolving the name of the computer hosting the database" sections.  Try those first.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks!  I'll start walking through this KB Article (truth be told, I've done so once before), but I'll do it again and pay more attention.

Does anything special need to happen with the .pad file?  If I understand correctly, I need to copy the one from the folder that is shared from the web server over to the workstation that is running the actual ACT application.  Is that correct?  Does it need to be modified in anyway?

Thanks again,

James

A couple of things to note...

The .Pad file on the database server indicates the path to the database is <ACTDatabase Name="APG2012" host="ACT" location="c:\Actdata\apg2012.adf" type="Sql">

When I copy this file to the machine that has the workstation, won't I need to change that path to the mapped data drive ("p:\actdata\apg2012.adf") ?

Also, since the version on the database server is ACT Premium for web is ( I open the client app on the web server it shows version is Sage ACT! Premium (Web) 2011 Version 13.1.111.0, Hot Fix 6), and I was told to install the regular act on this workstation, (the version on the workstation is Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2), that seems like it would be an issue based on the knowledge base article.

Thanks again,

James

I have both versions at 13.1.111.0 HotFix 6. When I originally tried to patch the workstation I attempted going to hotfix 6 before applying the sp. In any event, having them on the same version still produces the same error message.