Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Clicking Email Address In v18.2 Takes Forever To Open Outlook Window

Copper Contributor

Clicking Email Address In v18.2 Takes Forever To Open Outlook Window

I recently installed Act v18.2 on a fresh install of Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016. When clicking on an email address in Act, it takes about a minute or two before the email dialogue window in Outlook opens. During this time, an outlook icon appears in the tray on the taskbar with a red mark saying another program is using Outlook.

Eventually that goes away and the new email dialogue window opens. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Clicking Email Address In v18.2 Takes Forever To Open Outlook Window

Hi Jag,

You mentioned in another thread that you are looking to downgrade to Act v18.1 for different reasons. I'd be interested to hear if the downgrade resolves the issue on this particular machine.
Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary, I will let you know how it goes.
Copper Contributor

Hey Gary,

Unfortunately, same problem in v18.1. Clicking a contact's email address takes forever to open. Not sure what is causing this but I'm hoping to rectify this as I plan on rolling this out to some of my other users and install v18.1 on their computers. They are all currently used the web version but none of us are happy with it, so going back to the desktop platform.
Administrator

Hey Jag,

Is Outlook running on the machine before you click the email address? I've managed to replicate this behaviour when Outlook isn't open before attempting to write a new email. The delay should be around the same length of time it usually takes Outlook to open from closed.
Does the issue continue once Outlook has been opened?

same problem here... take several seconds and act is frozen during that time. Sometimes emails open sometimes I get the "object reference not set to an instance of the object"

• Verified email address is correct
  • Running Office 365 outlook 2017
  • ran act as administrator
  • ACT 18.2.53.0 update 2
  • Windows 10
  • web-site links open without issue

Hi there, does Act! freeze every time you click on an email address? I usually find that the first time I have Act! and Outlook open in the morning that it takes a few seconds to open the email, but then every time after that it works quickly. Are you getting the slowdown every time?

Also with regards to running as administrator, we typically find that it works best if you run both Act! and Outlook as an administrator, or else run neither of them as administrator. We've seen problems previously if you only run one of those programs as an administrator. Have you tried running both of them in that way?