Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Citrix XenDesktop

Silver Super Contributor

Citrix XenDesktop

Anyone running ACT! in a Citrix XenDesktop environment?  There seem to be problems with getting Protexis to work properly.  Swiftpage support says it isn't supported and to post on the community forum.

The issue we are having is that every time a new desktop is spun up it has a different machine id and a different mac address so when ACT! is launched it gets to a white screen and doesn't get any further.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Re: Citrix XenDesktop

Funny you should post that today.  I was researching the exact thing.  We attempted to run it in a xendesktop environment and was told by support that it wouldn't work.  Then, we were told by a sales rep that it would work.  However, that sales rep hasn't given me any information as to how to make it work.  He said there is a workaround.  If you find something, I'd be interested as well.

On a side note, do you happen to know if you put Act in xenapp, would you have to run Outlook in xenapp too?  I read a post about a plugin for outlook, but I think that only works with the web version.

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Stan - I have a Citrix site with 25 Act! users.

They haven't any problems as far as I know. They are a Citrix reseller/consultancy so they ought to know what they're doing!

If you can let me know what your problem is in some detail I'll pass it on to ask them.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

The product registration is based off the mac address and each user has to get the same mac every time.  As Stan explained, when a person restarts, the next machine they get has a different machine id and a different mac address.  You get an error when Act is launched and it won’t work.  The only way around this that I can see right now, and I’d like to hear if there is another, is to use personal vdisk for the group that uses Act.  There are only 7 users who will use it in our organization, so I’d like to minimize the work I have to do to support it.  I'm not saying personal vdisks are a lot of work, I'm just saying that no one elses uses it in our company and it will take me a little time to get it going.

Silver Super Contributor

You would have to run Outlook as a XenApp too.  An addon could be written to do it but integrating Outlook that way would be a lot of work.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Are you sure they aren't using XenApp and not XenDesktop?

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Swiftpage is looking into it with Citrix to see if there is a workaround.  If they find one or create one I'll post the information back here.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Have you tried running the protexis server with a different account that has more permissions?

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic
Silver Super Contributor

That wouldn't work in this case.  A XenDesktop is sort of like a temporary machine that is spun up for the user to use and reset to exactly the way it was before when they spin it up the next time they connect.  Sort of like the systems at colleges or hotels where they don't want the users to be able to do anything on the system except what they are allowed to do.  My understanding is that Protexis uses the machine id and or the MAC address to create the validation code for the machine when it is activated.  It then checks that code when ACT! is launched and it doesn't match the machine id or the MAC address because both are new every time the desktop is started.  Since the machine doesn't validate Protexis locks up and so does ACT!.  They would have to uninstall and reinstall Protexis every time they started up the desktop and reregister/activate in order to get it to work if Citrix doesn't have some sort of workaround for it.  This is just what I've been told by the person that manages the "golden images" (the popular name for the desktop images used to create the desktop for the users) at the IT company that provides the XenDesktop infrastructure to my client.  The IT/hosting company has 300 or so employees so it isn't a small outfit and he seems to know a lot about what he's doing.  I didn't know this product existed until I got involved in this upgrade.  It's actually pretty useful.  If a user gets a virus and the system stops working properly they just shut it down and restart and no more virus.  The same thing happens if there are problems with Windows, etc.  If the user needs an app that isn't installed on the desktop they can install it temporarily and the next time they reboot it's gone.  If they need the app to always be available they talk to the maintainer of their "golden image" and he adds the app to the "golden image" and the next time they start up their desktop it's there.  It's sort of like always reverting to a snapshot in VMWare Desktop with a new machine id and new MAC address gotcha.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Contributor

I've been in contact with a sales rep from swiftpage who says he knows how to get this working for xendesktop.  He's supposed to have his engineer contact me.  If I get anything worthwhile, I'll post it here.