Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing default country code.

Changing default country code.

Hi,

My co-worker thought he'd try and speed up data entry, by creating a 'UK' opetion in the country field, in order to speed up writing 'United Kingdom'. This has then been used to create records. We have only just spotted that the phone dialling code for 'UK' is set as 1 by default. Is there any way to alter this? Every user on the system is affected, so I can only assume it's either soemthing that cna be altered inside of Act!, or on a file on our server.

Thank you.

Rob

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Changing default country code.

BACKUP FIRST!

Lookup all records with Country = UK
Then use Edit | Replace to change then to United Kingdom

Finally, try this this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1441...

Yopu'll need to do the steps in that KB article for each Phone field (Phone, Home Phone, Fax, Mobile, etc)

I had a similar problem where we identified our clients based on what part of the UK they were in.  So the countries were set as England, Scotland or Wales.  For some strange reason the default dialing code for England is +1 (which is the dialing code for the States) even thought England is part of the UK which is +44.

This isn't readliy obvious unless you ask to display dialing codes.  It's not a problem until we sync with our iPhones and it adds the country code, making it impossible to dial the number without editing it on the handheld unit.

I can go through and edit each number individually, but with 6000+ contacts this can take a long time.  I don't really want to change all the countries to the UK cause this will take away a search criteria to narrow down the client base.  How do we change the country dialing code for England for the entire database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

To work with the dialling, you do need to use "United Kingdom" for the countries ... this is not an ACT! thing, but the way Microsoft defines them for TAPI.

Yo can always create another field in the database for your country search info

Once you've changed the Country to UK, you then need to fix all numbers currently entered.

It's pretty messy to change them, but I'm looking at doing it for another user in a similar position
Nickel Super Contributor

Worth checking out KB 24720 http://tinyurl.com/27fe29a

Looks like you might be able to modify the registry to recognize the country and it's code.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT