Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing User Security Level + Problems Syncing Remote DB's

Changing User Security Level + Problems Syncing Remote DB's

Hi Everybody,

I recently encountered a problem where I needed to change the security level of one of my remote users. I made the change at the local server which was configured as the publisher of the sync set. When the user later attempted to sync, the process failed. I then attempted to change the security level of the user back to its original setting, but the sync process remained broken.

Does anyone know if changing the security level of sync user can disrupt or invalidate the sync process? Is it possible that this is a bad coincidence and that the problem lies somewhere else? Unfortunately, the sync log does not have any descriptive error messages other than the sync was not able to complete. As well, the reports from ActDiag do not contain any useful information other than that a sync occurred an hour before I changed the security profile, and then failed 30 minutes after I changed the security profile.

Any insight or ideas regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Everett
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Changing User Security Level + Problems Syncing Remote DB's

What change did you make to the security (from what to what)?

What's the exact error in the logs?

What version of ACT! (full build from Help | About)?

[ Edited ]
Hi Mike,

The change that I made was to upgrade a user from a standard account to a manager. I made this change at the server (the publishing db). The error in the error log was very non descript. It said that the sync process was not able to complete (I will try to get a screen shot for you).

Version - ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.0.237, Hotfix 1

I was able to temporarily resolve the issue by simply deploying a new remote database to the users computer. However, I would like to prevent this scenario in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Everett

Message Edited by everettcomstock on 04-10-2008 02:29 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I would definately update to 10.01 or 10.02 (you need to do all systems).

I guess the scenario of changing a user's level after setting up sync wasn't tested... but at least you know if you need to do this the solution is to re-create the RDB