Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing Country codes for an entire database.

Copper Contributor

Changing Country codes for an entire database.

Greetings all,

Is there a way to change country codes for an entire database en masse?

I need to change country codes from UK to Spain. I've tried to:

2. Create a lookup of the entire database and Copy the phone field into an empty character field (edit>copy)
3. Then go to Edit>Replace Field and replace the contents of the phone field with a number the format .(1234 5678) And change the country code using the box with the ... on it.
4. edit> copy field and copy the contents of the empty character field into the phone field and the numbers will be forced to format into the right country code.

This didnt work.

Im running Act V10 premium latest everything.

Thanks in advance
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Changing Country codes for an entire database.

By V10, do you mean 10.03? There are differences in the way phone fields are handled for different builds

I haven't tried this, but give it a whirl and let me know...

Make sure you backup first!

1. Create some new fields (character type) for each phone field
  2. Lookup the records you want to change
  3. Use Edit  | Copy Fields - to move the phone field data to the new char fields. It should copy without the Country Code
  4. Use Edit | Replace to wipe the data in the Phone field
  5. Use Edit | Replace on the Lookup to set the Country to Spain
  6. Then use Edit | Copy Fields - to move the char fields back to the phone fields. It should set the  CC to match the record's Country field
If you didn't do item 5 before, it would always use the CC of your My Record.
Avid Listener

Hi Mike, 

I did this, but my problem is Act for some reason had internally associated the US country code to Spain, and if I did your indications this onley put again the number 1 in country code, in wich way can I change this?, the problem is I sincronize my Android phone trought companion link and put a numer 1 to all my contacts and i cannot call them without editing the phone number,

Have some one an idea to correct this?

Thanks

Julio Campomanes

Avid Listener

Sorry Mike, I use ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0

Platinum Elite Contributor

What happens if you manually change a number to Spain?

Is you My Record set correctly and with "Spain" in the Country address field?

Dear Mike,

I was checked the whole forum for any similar issues that I have, but couldn't find anything, so I'm asking here.

We are located in Lithuania/Norway, but we use the U.S. version of ACT, similarly to this situation where a person is using it in Spain. The problem is that ACT shows the country code for Norway as +1, and part of the country codes are translated into Lithuanian with a valid phone code, which is +47. Also, there's one more Norway with +47 as well, but the default is +1.

So we have:

(+1) Norway

(+47) Norway

(+47) Norvegija (which stands for Norway)

I have tried changing the country of "My Record" from Norway to Lithuania, and that worked for one user that I use, but did not help to another user that our Sales Manager uses. So I thought maybe there's some problem with user permissions?

The thing I want to figure out is if it's possible to edit the country codes themselves somewhere? Then I would just change them all to +47, and the problem would be solved.

Thank you!

Mindaugas Jocius

Silver Super Contributor

Make sure that the country is set properly on the MyRecord of the user and on the record of the Contact.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thank you for a quick reply!

So here's what we tried:

1. Setting the My Record to Norvegija (which means Norway in Lithuanian) sets the code to +47, which we need.

2. Creating a new contact and setting the country to Norvegija also gives +47, which is good.

3. However, what we would like to have is "Norway" instead of "Norvegija". All the other countries are in English, so I assume this has been customized by somebody.

So what we really need now is to rename "Norvegija +47" to "Norway +47". The problem that might arise is that we already have "Norway +1", so we probably would need to rename that as well to "United States +1", since +1 is the U.S. code.

I hope you understand what I mean; in essence, we need to change the records of the phone code database. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you so much!

Mindaugas Jocius

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Mindaugas - I believe that the Countries and Codes are from a Microsoft list which might be in the registry.

Perhaps you can find them there and make the alterations.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Silver Super Contributor

There is a file called phone.fmt in the Act for Windows directory.  You will either need to change that file or the registry entries for Microsoft's dialer.  I haven't manually changed them so I'm not sure which one you need to change but I suspect you need to change phone.fmt.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!