Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing Computer Name

Changing Computer Name

ACT is not recognizing my computer name because I had to change my it so my company could run malware and virus scans from home office.

I previously had this issue and got on with an ACT technician who changed my computer name in ACT for me. I can't get through to support and need to know how to this. I can't access anything in ACT.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Employee

Re: Changing Computer Name

Hi,

When you say ACT is not recognizing computer name, can you give little more information like is it giving any error message when trying to open ACT? are you unable to open the database?

Also can you tell me what is the windows OS and act version you have?

The "Sbfoffice" computer could not be reached because the IP address "could not be resolved". Verifying the "Sbfoffice" computer is available on the network, that is has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue.

I have ACT Premium and I am running Windows 8.1

I had this exact message when I had to change my computer name before and I the technical remote accessed my computer and updated the computer name in ACT and the problem was fixed. I've changed my computer name from "Sbfoffice" to SHAFRO per my employers request.

Thanks.

Employee

Hi,

In this case first we need to confirm few things.

Please open run command and type "actdiag" and go to database and database list and ensure the database you are tryin to open is online.

If it is online then follow this article http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30560/kw/the%20computer%20caanot%20be%20reached and if that doesn't work then you might need to recreate the pad file since it might still be pointing to the old machine name. So you can either open the .pad file with the notepad and rename the host part to new machine name or recreate the pad file by detaching the database from actdiag and then deleting the .pad file alone and double click .adf to opena nd create a new .pad file.

Please take a manual backup of data base for safety before you try the above steps.

Thank you

The database is online and I followed the steps in the article but it did work.I need to either open the .pad file with the notepad and rename the host part to new machine name or recreate the pad file by detaching the database from actdiag and then deleting the .pad file alone and double click .adf to opena nd create a new .pad file.

I remember him going to notepad and copying my computer name and then pasting it back into ACT. I don't know how to do this or where he did it can you explain how.

Thanks.

Employee

Hi,

You can follow the steps in this article and this might actually help you resolve the issue

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28952

This is too complicated for me. Isn't there anyway some one can call me to help me. I'm in desperate need to get into my files.

469-267-6109

Employee

Hi,

You can call the ACT Tech support at 800 927 3989 or can on a chat session with a support tech.

But the procedure is as follow,

Open Run Command and type ACTDIAG and click ok.
Click on database and database list.
The database will be located there, right click on the database name and choose the open containing folder option.
You will find a pad file there.
Right-click the .PAD file, select Open with, then select Notepad

Make necessary changes to the .PAD file, such as updating the Host name to a new machine name or IP address.

For example the PAD file will say host="Sbfoffice", just change the host="Sbfoffice" to host="SHAFRO"

Save and close the file

Try these steps and it might help you fix this issue.