Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change Supplemental File Location

Change Supplemental File Location

Since weeks i fight with the file location. When a user add a document to a contact, other users cannot open those file(s). My installation is as follow:

1 dedicated workstation (w7) working as host

3 Users

First of all, the database on the host was installed normaly on C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases. Due to many problems, I removed everything to the D-drive and maped it as M-Drive on the client-computers. Now it works fine (more or less). But I still have the problem, the we cannot open documents, where are added (neither as add nor as shortcut). I can see the link, when I do mouseover. There I can see, that it shows to computername\landsearch-database files. I guess, that is still on the c-drive an we havent access to open the files there. The same is, with the attached documents in the history tab. Nobody can open a file, when they do not have uploaded themselve.

Im sure, there is a right way to install it in such a way, that everything is working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Change Supplemental File Location

Does nobody knows a solution?

Platinum Super Contributor

Can you open the attachments when you are on the server and signed into the database? If you sign into the workstation using a different username, can you open the attachments?

What is the message you receive when attempting to open an attachment?
Greg Martin
Sage

When I loggin on the server with my username and pass, I can open everything. As soon as I log on on my pc, I only can open my own uploaded files.

I receive no error message. Just nothing happen.

I immediately checked the security thinks. The folder has "everybody have full access". So I tried several things. Could it be possible, that our different operating systems makes problems? Because, when I log in on a machine, on which W7 is installed, everything works (server is also W7). As soon I go to a machine with xp, I have the mentioned problem.

We have 2 machines with XP Prof SP3 and 2 machines with W7 Home premium.

Nickel Super Contributor

Hello Keran, but You don't need to create a network mapped drive to access the database from users' computers, so you just place the pad file  that is on the server TO THE desktop users computers (Remember that on the server you have three files - pad - adf - alf - and a supplemental files folder) finally check that users have permission to read and write in the supplemental files folder

Note: Do not forget to backup the database regularly. (File - Backup - Database - Include attachments)

Note: It is preferable to use a professional version of Windows to the computer as a Database server. Example: Windows Server 2003 Sp2, Windows XP Professional SP3

Hello Juan. As you can see in my first message, I had this configuration already and we had the mentionend problems. I gave everyone full control to test and it does not worked. Therefore I changed the path and mapped everthing. The only thing I have, ist the W7 Premium Home workstation working as "server". Maybe this ist the problem.

Any other suggestions?