Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Certain Remote Databases not syncing.

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Certain Remote Databases not syncing.

I've scoured all over this forum and nothing seams to be helping.

What I have:

Act 2006 Version 8.02.82  on all workstations and Server

What is going on:

2 of my computers that have remote databases that sync are unable to sync with the server.  All others work fine.

Error:

When attempting to sync:

"Server Error Description: Synchronization timed out. Contact your administrator for assistance."

Sync Config Report:

SYNC DATABASES:
---------------------------------------------
           DBID: 1                 DBGUID: B470BC52-0725-47AD-8F1D-822BDE8F7848         DATABASEID: 96023A7E-AA5C-40F5-8E88-5EDB9025B85F   
         DBTYPE: Desktop
         DBNAME: chris
        SYNCSET: ADMIN SET
PARENT DATABASE: ICONACTDB
  PARENT SERVER: BACKUPSERVER\ACT7
    SYNCDBMAPID: 4
EXPIREDAYS: 30          SYNC SUPP FILES: 1       INCLUDE ATTACHMENTS: 1          SYNC ATTACHMENTS: 1
SYNCSERVER: BACKUPSERVER   SYNC SERVER PORT: 65100   WEB SERVER URL: http://http
   CREATOR: Joe Green  ORIGINALLY CREATED: Jan 22 2009  9:49PM  LAST RE/CREATED: Jan 22 2009  9:49PM
    EDITOR: ACT! System  LAST EDITED: Jun 17 2009  3:45PM

What I've Tried already:

1. Rebooting the server

2. Running the act8diag and repairing both the schema and sync objects  (on both server and workstation.

3. Repair both databases on workstation and server

Any ideas???

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cmpolito
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Certain Remote Databases not syncing.

So you're running a copy of ACT! on the Publisher database machine, right?  If so, you've closed ACT! on that machine, modified and saved the ActSage.exe.config file, THEN re-launched the ACT! application, correct?  You must do this so that the updated config file is recognized and values respected.  3600 for a CommandTimeout is fine, that's an hour.  How long is it taking for the timeout to occur?

Remember that on the Subscriber database, the values for the "Manage Network Connections" dialog specifies the machine running the Sync Server - often times this is the same as the machine hosting the Publisher database - that's fine.  Just wanted to clarify.  The Sync Server is the "middle agent" that handles communication and protocol between the Subscriber and Publisher databases.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

You didn't mention if you're running a Network Sync Server or simply using a copy of the ACT! application and choosing "Accept Incoming Syncs".  The message begins with "Server Error..." so the issue is happening on the Publisher side of the equation, more specifically the Sync Server since it is the agent that performs the queries/actions against the Publisher database.

If you're running the Network Sync Server, stop the service and edit the file "Act.Framework.Synchronization.Service.exe.config" in the install folder of the "ACT Network Sync" beneath Program Files.  Increase the timeout values in the following section:

<add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Default" value="30"/>
  <add key="DatabaseConnectionTimeOut.Default" value="30"/>
  <add key="DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Long" value="3600"/>
These values are in seconds.  I would recommend changing the "DatabaseConnectionTimeOut.Default" value to 3600.  Save the file and re-start the Network Sync Server service again.

If you're using ACT! to Accept Incoming Syncs, close the application and edit the ActSage.exe.config file with the same timeout value I showed above.  Save that file and re-start ACT!.

Try again.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Tuned Listener

I'm simply using a copy of the ACT! application and choosing "Accept Incoming Syncs".  I did as you suggested and changed the "DatabaseConnectionTimeOut.Default" value to 3600, but i'm still getting the same error.

Any other ideas?

thanks!

Bronze Elite Contributor

Is this a case of used to sync and now isn't or has it never synced?

Any Windows updates applied or network changes, new software installs on the two machines that don't sync?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

This is a used to sync but now it doesn't.

All windows updates have been performed on these pc's but none that haven't been installed on the others that are still currently working. 

Are there any reports i can pull up to show where it's getting stuck?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Have I got this right. On the machines where Windows updates have not been run sync is working. On 2 machines where Windows updates have been applied sync does not work. If so does updating through Windows update roughly coincide with the problem of sync stopping?

Suggestions:

Stop Microsoft Firewall if it is running and see if sync is now OK

If firewall not the issue uninstall Windows update from Add Remove programs and try and sync

If it is still a problem then regress the machine under System Restore to the date that it was last working and tray again

WARNING: Backup ACT! first and move the backup file to another machine or USB key drive. Be aware of saving any other data before regress of the machine.

Graeme Leo

Tuned Listener

I don't think windows update has anything to do with it.  All pc's have the same updates on them.

I would like to just create another remote database for the pcs. However, I don't want to loose the info that has been made on the current remotes.  Is there a way to sync the databases via a different pc or in a different meathod?

Thanks!

Bronze Elite Contributor

I understand now, however, did updating with Windows updates coincide with these two machines not synchronising, despite the others were updated but have no problem synching. If that is the case maybe it is simply a firewall issue.  

Graeme Leo

Tuned Listener

The firewalls are off.  The office relies on a firewall appliance to the WAN.  All software firewalls are off. 

Why in the sync report does it say active (expired)?

And is there a way to get this info to the main DB so i can just create a new remote.  I think my issue stems from sync sets  but I can't be certain.

Copper Super Contributor

I apologize - I copy/pasted the INCORRECT timeout value to change.  Change "DatabaseCommandTimeOut.Default" not the Connection timeout - my bad.

On the machine hosting the Publisher database, you can run ActDiag.exe (Start>Run and just type it in).  On the Databases panel, click the Publisher database then Reports>Sync Reports>Sync Preview Report can give you some idea of content/volume that the Publisher may potentially be needing to sync to that problem Subscriber (Remote) database.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software