Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Central DB Versus Sync DB

Central DB Versus Sync DB

I'm in the initial stages of setting up ACT for 10 users in our company. Only a couple of the users travel with any regularity, but instead of having to deal with Synchronization, I thought I would make the database centralized. It would be easier for me to maintain that way. The issue I'm having is that for those 2 users that travel, they would have no offline access when they take their laptops home. Is that correct?

If that is so, we could give them the web client which would allow them to connect from anywhere with an internet connection. How does that work, do I build a web site on my web server and open up some ports in the firewall for it? Or do they VPN into our network to access it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Central DB Versus Sync DB

You are correct that the main reason to go with sync is so that users can have a local copy of the data when not connected to the internet.

ACT! for Web can be installed in an IIS server and needs one port (usually 80) open for it.

You can also choose (as I do) to have both Web and Sync... or even to have Blackberry or Windows Mobile smart phones and Handheld Contact to sync data to remote users.

Great! Thanks Mike. We have Blackberry's and a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). I'll give the Handheld a shot. Do you know (by chance) if it will support iPhone's?

Thanks again for your help.

Ray
Platinum Elite Contributor

No iPhone support at this time... I guess this will happen if enough corporate users pick up the Apple device